Is this lye pockets?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azana

Reaction score
Strange lines all over castile soap?

Hi guys,

I've been making soap for several months and yesterday was my first time making castile soap with 100% olive oil pomace. I used lye:water ratio at 1:2.

I was so surprised when I cut them and see unusual lines all over my castile soap. Is this lye pockets? FYI, it doesn't zap.
5xlnxf.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry for my terrible English, but I need your help :sad:

Last edited:
Definitely NOT lye pockets, so don't worry about that.

I love that effect! It looks almost like stearic streaking but I didn't think OO was prone to that because it's low in stearic acid. I have noticed at times that swirling or pouring in certain ways can be seen after the soap has gelled, even if you didn't pull a color all the way through. It seems like the disruption to the soap leaves a mark. I can't explain why that would happen but I have seen swirl marks (not color but marks left in the base soap) come through in gelled soap and in certain soaps, I can see exactly how the batter was poured into the mold.

I should ask, to be thorough, did you used any colorants or did you add more water to part of the batter for any reason?

Last edited:
It has not gelled all the way through. It looks like the water wasn't mixed in evenly through the soap.

It would be worthwhile checking the fine print on the OO can. Sometimes they sneak in another oil. It is very white for 100% OO.

Last edited:
I agree with penelopejane that it looks like soap with 2 different water amounts was mixed together - tho I don't find the white odd - my 100% castile from New Years Day is VERY white as well. Most OO soaps are - esp. after it starts curing

Latest posts

Back