Is this lye heavy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Calling all the scientists here! When I masterbatch I normally weigh out separately my oil mixture and my lye solution. However, tonight I poured the lye solution directly into my oil mixture. For lye solution, I needed 109 grams but poured 113 grams, basically a 0% superfat. It's a column mold for an embed. The recipe is here but I also added 1 Tbsp avocado oil that I mixed my colorant in. Is it safe or chuck-worthy? I appreciate any advice!
Capture.PNG

I'm no scientist, and my math skills are very much lacking so maybe wait for someone better qualified and who hasn't had a bit of wine to confirm. But - google tells me that 1 T of avocado oil weighs 13.5 g and with a 1% superfat you would need 38.26 g of NaOH. You added 36.88 g, correct? So you should be fine from what I can tell. A zap test will tell you for sure.
zing.JPG

I say it's fine, with the caveat to do a Zap test to confirm. I make & use 1% SF soap (per calculator) and it never zaps, and my skin likes it, and I don't have to use lotions or moisturizers on my skin with which I use my soap, so if it works for me....

I have even made soap with 0% SF that doesn't Zap, therefore is NOT lye heavy, and use it for bathing, etc. So again. Zap test to confirm, but I'd be fine with it.

EVEN more important: It's an embed in another soap you have yet to make! No worries at all, as embedding a 1% SF or even a 0% SF inside of more soap (at least 50% more soap batter, right?) will offset the lower SF of the embed. Assuming that your new soap batter will be your usual SF.

1% is easily within the natural variations of SAP values. So you won't know until the zap test.

I can only join the others, and just want to add two things: Very slightly negative superfat can reportedly mellow out over time (the surplus hydroxide catches CO₂ to form small amounts of soda ash inside the soap). Secondly, your ample usage of RBO, avocado and shea brings plenty of unsaponifiables, that can replace the gentleness of free-oils-from-lye-discount to some degree.

Latest posts

Back