Is this irony or what

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did you ever think about how we fantasize, plan, re-plan, groan over, study, test and finally make a real batch of soap...only to wash it down the drain?? My DH does fine woodworking, making engraved boards, lazy susans with inlay, tea boxes etc. and his pieces will last well beyond any of our lives. I'm still not finding a new hobby.

OMG, you are so right! o_O LOL.

I never really thought about that. I do think about that when I spend hours cooking, though - which means I don't cook fancy meals as much. ;)
I think about that too! Lots of time gathering ingredients, cooking, and if you eat with my husband, 20 minutes tops and it's all over. Then clean up yet.

But the opposite of that is....how much room to you have for permanent stuff? My mom is a wood turner and we all have many MANY gorgeous wooden bowls....but there is a limit to how many we have room for!

Well, you know, at around age 16 my youngest son said he thought all the effort that goes into preparing our traditional Thanksgiving meal wasn't worth it considering how long it takes, is gone so fast, and then faced with humongous clean-up.

So guess who trained as a chef at age 20 and worked in the field for more than 2 decades? Yes, this very same boy. He does leave the field periodically because it is very high stress, but he has also gone back to it on occasion as well. He no longer talks about how much effort goes into food preparation and how quickly it is gone because it is highly valued by the customers.

Soap is the same to me. The end result is worth the effort because the product of our efforts is highly valued by our customers, who happen to be first and foremost ourselves and our loved ones, but often it goes far beyond that and regardless of how quickly it goes down the drain, the benefits of our product is valued for a lot longer than the actual life of the soap.

Yes, my husband likes to remind me (jokingly) that I literally wash money down the drain with my hobby. But, you only get so many trips around the sun...

Yes, this is true. How much money have you SAVED with good quality soap? My soap lasts longer than the store bought kind, and it is much better for my skin!

Latest posts

Back