Is this Greed or Business?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Cheeky Goat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a really good point Vicki, I would have considered that first. Even worse that it sounds like he really was!

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I mean we are ALL constantly inspired by each other and that's a good thing, and usually it's flattering that someone liked an idea enough to copy it, right?
True. I would take comfort in that. We cannot know his motives. It's best to wish him well and get on with your life. As @KiwiMoose notes in her sig line, "Be kind because everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

paradisi

Reaction score
Um, no, it's more like he's a predator, he used his position to gain access and then to exploit the work she'd done. Flattery would be emulating an idea, not wholesale copying her.

Not unlike the FB group copying new popular scents and profiting off someone else's work. Both are vulture business models.

Too, consider that the more places like BB are ripped off, the higher they have to price things to get their initial investment back. The vultures are making money not just at Anne Marie's expense, but at the expense of everyone else who shops at BB.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
@paradisi Your point is well-taken. However, if we are to create a kinder, gentler nation, å la Alex Trebek, let it begin with me. It's sad that we condemn a person to criminal behavior when he isn't here to defend himself. For all we know, his motive may have been to provide for his family during these trying times. I've never met a "rich" college professor, know what I mean? 🙏

MaryinOK

Reaction score
I got snookered at Costco when I picked up a box of my favorite Vita Coco Coconut Water. It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was a KIRKLAND brand. Shamefully similar packaging, same ingredients with one iota of difference.
Well, many manufacturers make identical (or almost identical) products for several name brands and Box stores. Many years ago my son worked at a company that made several lines of cosmetics. Some very well-known and pricey, some less known and more moderately priced. The only difference was the fanciness of the container and the label. However, this is not an underhand practice - lots of companies do this.

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of those malt o meal bagged cereals. I know I'm a sucker but I need original frosted mini wheats even if they are all made in the same place!

Having to pay more in light of FO dupes is a good point. It stinks because I know that, for some, the cost of f/o is prohibitive. And that really stinks too because I think f/o are such fun and everyone should enjoy them. But at the same time, BB isn't giving it away! I wonder how much any of this affects their bottom line?

Latest posts