Is this false tracinig?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I've encountered this before but this is the most severe case so far.
I was making a batch of facial soap yesterday. I added the lye water while I was hand-stirring with my SB head and the batter was almost medium trace-ish thick when I finished pouring. I was very tempted to pour it as it is -it's getting to the point it's tiring my hand to stir because it's so thick- but I decided to try lifting the batter with a spatula and nope, the batter just dropped back without a trace. I gave it about 4 short bursts just in case, added my FO with one final burst, and poured. It was a single color batch. I checked it this morning-solid coloring, some tiny droplets on the surface but likely from the FO (Ear Gray from NG). I will try to unmold it tonight but I think it emulsified just fine.
I knew the recipe I used is pretty high on its butters and I soaped with room temp oils and slightly warmer lye so I wonder if this is false tracing? I checked sample pictures on SoapQueen's website but she stated false tracing is streaks of soap-looking opaque chunks (The Truth About False Trace - Soap Queen). Well my oils are opaque looking before I added the lye so I couldn't really tell.

Here's the recipe I used:
Palm Kernel 10%
Shea Butter 20%
Cocoa Butter 15%
Rice Bran 15%
Olive 30%
Avocado 10%

This video has been posted on the forum and it's the BEST I've seen for explaining false trace and how to spot it.

It's definitely possible to have "emulsified looking" batter without actually having trace - especially while using cooler oils. Happened to me with one of my latest batches but I luckily had watched that video recently so knew to check the bell of the blender to be sure. My recipe is also on the higher side for solid oils so I have to be careful letting them get too cool.

Not sure why you are concerned with false trace? Nothing in your description even hinted at a problem.
I'm concerned because if this recipe can cause false tracing then I'd know I need to look out for it when using it in the future. I always have problem with controlling trace so whenever the batter feels thick to me I start to panic instantly. If I know this recipe will always thicken without tracing then I can work around it instead of panicking every time worrying I did something wrong 😂

With all the butters and the palm, this recipe will probably be a faster tracing one.
It could also false trace due to all the hard oils but honestly, its not a common occurrence.

If you barely warmed your oil and used cold lye, then yes, you would probably get false trace.

Keep your lye and oils around 90 - 110 and you'll be fine.
Your oils need to be just warm enough to be completely clear, the lye container should be cool enough to comfortably touch.

Back