Is this false trace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolesica

Reaction score
Just trying to learn here, but are those lumpy bits of fat a sign of false trace? Not sure I want to stick blend again as I am needing a fluid batter. Going to try stirring until my arms fall off

Attachments

• 69558762688__1E82AD83-494A-456B-8152-5CE14B992D0F.MOV
    1.1 MB
Maybe but hard to tell without your full recipe and soaping method. False trace usually occurs with high butters or solid oils content and soaping at cool temperatures. My usual recipes are high palm or a high tallow/lard which I soap at room temp. I soap with an average of 60% hard oils with my oils many times cloudy so I always have false trace, in the beginning, meaning my batter immediately thickens up, so I just wait for my batter to naturally begin to heat up and start to clear (beginning of saponification) and continue to move on.

As KiwiMouse mentioned you may have had some butters harden which should melt as your batter heats up, so just stop SB'ing and stir until they melt. You may not need to SB at all after this point.

Thanks everyone!
As usual, @KiwiMoose hit the nail on the head— today is a chilly day here and because of hot flashes I almost never turn on my heater anymore.. lol.

I ended up just stirring ad nauseum and everything finally evened out. Yay!

Could that also be ricing from a naughty FO?
Could that also be ricing from a naughty FO?
Thankfully, no. I have had waaay too much experience with that so confident I can spot that culprit right away!

Latest posts

Back