Is this DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callie

Reaction score
Hi guys
I just checked on my soap which has had about four weeks curing (in nasty heat and humidity, although in my dark pantry) and it doesn't look good
It has developed some moist yellowy spots in the what was lovely even off-white.
It did originally have a lovely strong aroma from Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Peppermint and Lavender EO. I would have to say that although it doesn't smell too bad, this couls just be due to the EOs.
Would I be right in thinking that my lovely sosp has developed the dreaded orange spot?

Attachments

• 20190204_121634.jpg
    20190204_121634.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 89
It is in a walk in pantry on a shelf sitting on absorbent paper and lightly covered with absorbent paper. I dont know where else to put it to get better airflow. Maybe I need to put a door on the pantry and put a dehumidifier in there?

Even a small fan would give some air circulation.
I'll give that a go. That was my last batch of soap (made just after Christmas). The rest are OK (fingers crossed). Perhaps they got to dry put a bit before the humid weather set in.

How do other prople in humid areas cure and store their soap?

It looks like it could become DOS but it doesn't look like its all the way there yet. You may be able to save it with circulation of cool air. If the pantry is actually inside the kitchen, that's not a good storage place. Maybe a lien closet would work better.

It looks like it could become DOS but it doesn't look like its all the way there yet. You may be able to save it with circulation of cool air. If the pantry is actually inside the kitchen, that's not a good storage place. Maybe a lien closet would work better.
It smells weird, so I think it is on it's way. I'll just use the rest up quickly before it goes gross

It is in a walk in pantry on a shelf sitting on absorbent paper and lightly covered with absorbent paper. I dont know where else to put it to get better airflow. Maybe I need to put a door on the pantry and put a dehumidifier in there?
Callie,
A pantry is not the best place to cure or store you soap even if you use a dehumidifier.
There is food in there which might not like the EOs, food may get on your soap and food will not like a dehumidifier.

It is better to store it on an open shelf in a bedroom, laundry or somewhere else where it is dry and cool without direct sunlight. You could buy a rolling shelf unit that you can move from room to room. Also it is a good idea to cure your soap on an edge rather than on one side.

Do not cover your soap with anything. It has to breathe.

Last edited:
Gosh - what bad luck! I hope mine don't get DOS in this humidity - although I dare say it's hotter where you are @Callie. Mine is kept in the spare bedroom (AKA the craft room) in open shelves. It can get pretty hot in there - in fact, anywhere in our house while it's locked up during the day.

Callie, do you have an outside area in the shade to cure your soap? If you do, then you could make like the French and use the sea breeze to cure the soap :)
From the pictures that I've seen, 80% shadecloth should provide sufficient UV protection (a bit like creating a fernery, minus the misting system), while still allowing airflow. I think that if you have airflow, your soap will have a much better chance of surviving the humidity, so if you can, take advantage of the constant seabreeze you get in your area.

Even a shelf by a partially open (blind down) window in a laundry or bedroom is enough breeze to help whisk away moisture. And have them on a cloth or mesh on a flat tray or rack. The plastic box might have been the final straw - it would trap any residual moisture around the soap.

Sorry your soap has already started to turn - it does sound like it's too late for that batch.
(You might get a tiny bit of extra time if you chop off the outside bits ... worth a try perhaps).

It is better to store it on an open shelf in a bedroom, laundry or somewhere else where it is dry and cool without direct sunlight.

I've been meaning to ask... Currently I have my soaps curing on an enclosed balcony. I don't think they are receiving direct sunlight, but what are the drawbacks is they do?

The walk-in pantry was a temporary shared storage area while I got organised. I guess this has just been a kick in the butt to get better organised! I am trying to set myself up to make to sell, so these are exactly the issues I need to sort out.
I have a nice area under an open staircase in my hallway that gets a breeze flowing from one end of the house to the other, but is not in direct sunlight. I went to Bunnings this morning and bought a seven drawer rollable wire drawer unit. The drawers are a mesh that is fine enough to protect the soap from kids and pets, but will still have nice airflow. I will just need to line the shelves with paper.
I had those soaps with DOS sitting on paper towel on a plastic container lid used as a tray. I do think having them sitting on their side (and on plastic) was part of the problem. I like making round soaps, so I will have to build some sort of timber stand to help balance them on their edge.

Thanks for that. I would prefer something washable and reusable. I have fabric I can recycle into some nice liners. I will just have to figure out where on earth I have stashed my overlooker!
Watch out because they shrink. Myopic need them to turn up a little way all around so the soap is totally protected from the wire even though it is painted.

OK, is this DOS?

I made Zany's castile/sea salt soap late Monday night and cut it first thing Tuesday (waited a little too long, I know). I noticed the outer skin was ivory when unmolded and cut and noticed the ring this morning. I had left it on parchment, on a small wood stool, 2-3 ft away from a heater vent overnight Tuesday to Wed.

I used a brand new bottle of Kirkland (Costco's) EVOo I just opened, expires 6-2020, new bottle of BB castor oil (no exp), a new-ish canister of Morton mediterranean sea salt and a new box of baking soda.

20190206_074541[1].jpg

Is DOS contagious? Should I worry about soaps stored next to it overnight? It doesn't smell, yet.

I'm going to say no as DOS doesn't form that quickly. I'm thinking maybe partial gel. I've never used EVOO just Costco's standard olive. Any fragrance added?

Latest posts

Back