Is This DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymy

Reaction score
Guys, is this what we call DOS? I just noticed it on my soap today. Out of 15 bars, only two bars have these spots. Oils are clumping on the spot. Is it normal?

nfqt80.jpg

Ahhhhh. I used canola oil more than 30%. Sigh, are they usable?

I agree, it does look like DOS. Yes, it's usable, I wouldn't gift it, or sell it, but it's definitely usable. It might smell a bit funky, I'd probably use it as hand soap.

I double checked all of my oils and butters, their expiry dates are far away. Is it solely because of the high content of canola oil?

I've only had DOS one time and I blamed it on sunflower oil. It was the first and only time I used it. It pretty much looked like what you have. It was only on the corner on 2 bars. I cut off that corner and used them.

Mary Lou

Hey guys sorry but what's DOS? Lol

Dreaded Orange Spot. It's somekind of STD amongst soap. :p

Disk Operating System?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) Look here)

Naughty. Haha :p

I've only had DOS one time and I blamed it on sunflower oil. It was the first and only time I used it. It pretty much looked like what you have. It was only on the corner on 2 bars. I cut off that corner and used them.

Mary Lou

Ohhh sunflower too? Noted. Thanks!

Dreaded Orange Spots.
I blame the high canola content. Drop the canola to around 10% and I'd bet that DOS disappears.

Noted. My bad. Thanks!

I use canola quite often at 25% and have never had a dos problem with it, but lard I have had problems with

I see. Thank you! I have never used any lard before. Just curious whether high soybean oil content will cause dos too?

Dreaded Orange Spot. It's somekind of STD amongst soap. :p

Naughty. Haha :p

Ohhh sunflower too? Noted. Thanks!

Noted. My bad. Thanks!

I see. Thank you! I have never used any lard before. Just curious whether high soybean oil content will cause dos too?

I wouldn't use soy either. Another oil prone to DOS. As for sunflower, as long as it's High Oleic Sunflower you won't have the same issues. High Oleic Safflower is stated to be nice as well.

I wouldn't use soy either. Another oil prone to DOS. As for sunflower, as long as it's High Oleic Sunflower you won't have the same issues. High Oleic Safflower is stated to be nice as well.

Thank you so much for the info! Really appreciate it. I'll jot it down. :)

I use both soybean(10%-!5%) and lard up up 25% in most of my recipes for at least the last 2 years and have not got any DOS. I have some bars that are well over a year old and they not showing any signs of DOS.

Mary Lou

Got DOS once with safflower oil several years ago. Don't even know why I bought safflower oil. Must have had a reason at the time. Generally, I avoid canola, soy, and shortenings other than Spectrum organic palm.

Latest posts

Back