Is this DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dharlee

Reaction score
Hi, I made this soap about 8 weeks ago.

It was
10% canola
30% olive
30% Palm
30% Coconut
5% SF
Full water
Cherry almond FO(WSP) and 1/2 tsp Rose Kayoline Clay for a little bit of a drop for interest.

I am so new, and this is not the recipe I would use again as since finding you guys here I have learned SO much. However I have to ask in the interest of learning- This was made in a 10 inch silicone mold. I generally soap at about 125 to 130ish. Two bars have these lovely little yellowing spots. This one is by far the worst. First, is this DOS? I know (now) that canola oil is somewhat prone to them. Also, only two bars have them. Do they continue to develop over time? Is the soap safe to use?

Thank you!! :)

DOS possible.jpg

That does not look like DOS to me, dos is generally more orange and uniformly round. Not sure what your spots are though, can you get a clearer pic?

no not DOS , could be stearic or palmatic spots. i have known to be wrong before :)

IDK if you're talking about the white spots or the orangey color around the edges - but, if it's the color around the edges, I think it looks like rancidity starting up.

It's not the top, they are the ones at the bottom. They are the same color as the soda ash that I had not yet removed. All of this is a learning experience and I didn't know how to not get soda ash at first. There was a LOT of it. Once that's gone I think it will be fine then.

What causes palm spots? Did we not mix it well enough? I have never not used a SB for soaping. And we melted the whole bag and mixed it first of the palm oil. I got it from BB simply because I love the microwaveable bags.

It's not the top, they are the ones at the bottom. They are the same color as the soda ash that I had not yet removed. All of this is a learning experience and I didn't know how to not get soda ash at first. There was a LOT of it. Once that's gone I think it will be fine then.

What causes palm spots? Did we not mix it well enough? I have never not used a SB for soaping. And we melted the whole bag and mixed it first of the palm oil. I got it from BB simply because I love the microwaveable bags.

I've gotten the stearic spots on batches that I know I didn't mix as well as I should have, but I don't know if that's the real reason it happened :) Sometimes soap gremlins show up on your doorstep and mess with you just because, ha ha.

Try this, after you mix with your stick blender, but before you pour, take your spatula and scrape the bottom and sides of the pot and stir well. My theory is that the SB gets most of the stuff mixed in, but doesn't necessarily get all the stuff from the sides and bottom mixed in as well as the rest. I used to get streaks in my soaps sometimes, but since I've started doing this, no streaks. It can't hurt.

Try this, after you mix with your stick blender, but before you pour, take your spatula and scrape the bottom and sides of the pot and stir well. My theory is that the SB gets most of the stuff mixed in, but doesn't necessarily get all the stuff from the sides and bottom mixed in as well as the rest. I used to get streaks in my soaps sometimes, but since I've started doing this, no streaks. It can't hurt.

Great idea! Thanks! (This might chase away the soap grmlins! LOL

Latest posts

Back