Is this dangerous?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaSuds

Reaction score
I am formulating a recipe to include local rapeseed oil. As I have read that rapeseed oil can be prone to DOS I would like to add citric acid and ROE to my recipe. I already add aloe vera powder and honey to my water before adding the (dual) lye so would it be dangerous to also add citric acid to the water?

No it should be fine just be sure to add extra lye to account for the citric acid. Also, add roe to your oils when you open them. It will keep then longer. I don't use rapeseed oil as I need my soaps to sometimes stick around quite some time.

No it should be fine just be sure to add extra lye to account for the citric acid. Also, add roe to your oils when you open them. It will keep then longer. I don't use rapeseed oil as I need my soaps to sometimes stick around quite some time.
Thank You, I have been studying DeeAnna's advice from her blog to calculate the extra lye. How much ROE would you recommend to add to the bottles of oil?

Last edited:
My soap containing rapeseed oil turned out very soft and has not completely hardened even after seven weeks of curing.
Thanks for the warning, I'll make it a small batch...I just want to give it a try:thumbs:

Mine is a small batch too. On the positive side, I may make use of its (otherwise) unwanted softness and try to inlay some letters with a different batter colour.

@Ladka I just had a thought...have you ever read this thread: I think rapeseed oil is missing in SoapCalc...

As European rapeseed is a different species to the one grown in America perhaps you needed to use a different sap value for the oil that you used?

I'm kind of going of this idea anyway as rapeseed is coming into flower here now and i forgot how awful it smells and how badly my children suffered from hayfever from it when they were younger :(. Maybe I shouldn't be part of creating a demand!!

Thank You, I have been studying DeeAnna's advice from her blog to calculate the extra lye. How much ROE would you recommend to add to the bottles of oil?

You will find that answer as well on DeeAnna's site: Soapy Stuff: Rosemary oleoresin (ROE)

See the section How much should I use. But I advise reading the whole thing, too.

@Ladka I just had a thought...have you ever read this thread: I think rapeseed oil is missing in SoapCalc...
As European rapeseed is a different species to the one grown in America perhaps you needed to use a different sap value for the oil that you used?

I'm kind of going of this idea anyway as rapeseed is coming into flower here now and i forgot how awful it smells and how badly my children suffered from hayfever from it when they were younger :(. Maybe I shouldn't be part of creating a demand!!
I was aware of a difference between the rapeseed oils but just had to make a choice and chose a SAP.
Anyhow, I bought it out of curiosity and intended it for consumption: now my curiosity is satiated and I won't buy it for food , I just dislike both the smell and the taste.
When I found this out I thought I'd use it in a hand/body cream but it still had some unpleasant odour to it: no more useful for homemade cosmetics.
Then I thought I'd use the remains in a soap, and it is prone to DOS and too soft. So no more use for soap.
To cut a long story short: I'm done with rapeseed oil no matter what useful, beneficial or otherwise applauded properties it has either in food, cream or soap :)

Last edited:
How amazing this topic has popped up right now as I was about to buy the KTC extended life frying oil which I noticed is for sale as a special at the moment, I would imagine this oil to be rather like the HO or MO that is available in the US. Having read the negative comments about it I am not sure whether to go with it or not, soft soap is not something I am after as I do my best to get as hard soap as possible, DOS may not be such a problem as this oil is an extended life oil and I doubt that I would use more than about 15%, might just try it anyhow.

I made rapeseed oil soap several times but it's never had a very good shelf life even with the ROE. Mine developed DOS after about 3 months and for me that's just not acceptable. I decided it wasn't worth it. My current favorite recipe can last over 10 years and still perform as well if not better after it cured. I actually just found a bag of soaps I made 6 years ago that I had taken to a craft show and somehow they got put into a paper bag and put in my back room. They still have their fragrance, no DOS, and still have the same great lather and feel.

I made rapeseed oil soap several times but it's never had a very good shelf life even with the ROE. Mine developed DOS after about 3 months and for me that's just not acceptable. I decided it wasn't worth it. My current favorite recipe can last over 10 years and still perform as well if not better after it cured. I actually just found a bag of soaps I made 6 years ago that I had taken to a craft show and somehow they got put into a paper bag and put in my back room. They still have their fragrance, no DOS, and still have the same great lather and feel.

But was your rapeseed oil HO / MO or regular as that would have an impact I would have thought?

Back