Is this because of Titanium Dioxide ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Reaction score
On my last thread I had some problems with rivers due to my temperatures and what I thought was Titanium Dioxide.
After lots of advice I re wrote my recipe and put it through a soap calculator. I did a water discount and lowered my temperatures and that seem to work.

But my last batch i tried to make something more creative with more layers and colours. Everything came out how I wanted, but not the middle section. The middle part you can see some rivers. The middle part is titanium dioxide with in the pot swirl with brown mica. I soaped at room temperature as that’s really helped. This whole soap is made from the same batch and all room temperature.
View media item 1218 View media item 1216
Is these rivers due to titanium dioxide ? If so how can I prevent this ? Also is there anything else I can use to get a white that isn’t Titanum Dioxide.

Massive thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 3679D0E5-0618-496B-86D9-E544E53CB475.jpeg
    3679D0E5-0618-496B-86D9-E544E53CB475.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 6E4DE9BD-92EF-4684-9B02-2EDC3D1A65C1.jpeg
    6E4DE9BD-92EF-4684-9B02-2EDC3D1A65C1.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 13
It's due to gel. The center gets the hottest and yes, TD is generally the cause. What lye concentration did you use? 33% seems to be the magic # in most cases.

Yes that is the lye concentration I used as adviced by all you guys on here. How can I prevent this happening ? Is there anything else I could use to make a white that doesn’t over heat ?

You can try a white mica. I use TD and go with the rivers when they appear, not too often. Are you insulating your molds? Maybe use less insulation, it's because it gels too hot then cools slowly.

You can try a white mica. I use TD and go with the rivers when they appear, not too often. Are you insulating your molds? Maybe use less insulation, it's because it gels too hot then cools slowly.

Okay thank you a lot I try white mica. I didn’t insulate this soap maybe where I placed it was too hot. I have to experiment.

Okay thank you a lot I try white mica. I didn’t insulate this soap maybe where I placed it was too hot. I have to experiment.

It's most certainly finding what works best. You can also put a rack or something under your mold to let air circulate underneath is. Then, there's always the possibility you'll get partial gel though. You'll find the best way with your recipe. Then when you change a recipe, say add sugar or milks that too will affect how it gels. As I stated before, when I get rivers I just go with them. It's only a cosmetic flaw and doesn't affect the performance at all.

Your soap is gorgeous and I would buy it at a craft show. Seriously.

What did you mix your TD with? I prefer to use glycerin, but some people like oil. Both will work, but I think using water can lead to the glycerin rivers.

Haven’t done lots of soaping yet but I’ve read from a experienced soaper the causes are too much fragrance oil, not mixing the TD properly- scraping the TD off the sides and bottom of the container ensuring it’s mixed well. Or try mixing with warm water
Probably not much help!
Your soaps are fabulous anyway :)

I masterbatch oil or water td in a jar, so it is always ready, although I admit I do not use much td anymore just work with the discoloring. TD can cause some acceleration and the rivers if default water is used. Some people like the look of the rivers. Rivers can happen with other colorants, they just aren't as noticeable as when using TD

Last edited:
I completely agree that the soap is gorgeous!! (I also like the look of glycerin rivers) But I know you're disappointed.

You've done the things that often help prevent rivers (33%, soaping cool).

Here's some other thoughts:

What is your td mixed with? Some of oil soluble only, or water only, some can be either. In order to keep water amount down, use a td that's oil soluble.

Soaping cool and with lower water reduces the chance of gel, but your fo can be a "heater" - pice, floral, ocean type scents are often heaters. Milks, beer and sugars also contribute to gelling.

What type of mold do you use? Some hold the heat in more - like a silicone lined wood mold. A sturdy silicone only mold works better for me at preventing gel.

Use as little td as possible to get your desired whiteness.

I've used 3 different white micas and they've had virtually no affect in providing whiteness; and I have a light soap batter to begin with.

Good luck. But that really is a wonderful looking soap!!!

Your soap is gorgeous and I would buy it at a craft show. Seriously.

What did you mix your TD with? I prefer to use glycerin, but some people like oil. Both will work, but I think using water can lead to the glycerin rivers.

Thank you. My TD is mixed with water. Maybe I need to get a oil version.

Also some oils will heat up faster than others, even without the addition of other heat-producing ingredients. So if you have a high percentage of CO, or any sugar-containing ingredient the center of a loaf that size will naturally heat up and stay hotter than the exterior of the soap.

So if you don't want to change your recipe, you could use smaller molds for soaps you want to have a white center.

My TD is mixed with water. Maybe I need to get a oil version.
Are you using a premix? My premix is roughly 1 part TD to 2 parts water (my TD is water soluble), and I try to be sparing in how much I use. On occasion I've intentionally added a lot more premix to my batter than I think is necessary, so that I specifically get rivers for a design. Both of those are approaches are judgement calls that come through experience, so I'm sorry I don't know what guidelines to share.

Latest posts

Back