Is this batch a total loss?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

Reaction score
Well, yesterday I added my water to my lye, and got distracted. Some of the lye got dissolved, but there was a huge chunk on the bottom. I put the dissolved lye in a separate bowl and broke up the chunk into smaller chunks and slowly mixed it into the dissolved lye. I thought I had it all dissolved. When I poured my batter, there were some chunks in it. I'm assuming they are lye chunks. My soap traced normally and gelled. I'm wondering if it will be OK or if I need to remelt and strain, use it for laundry, or trash it.

Thanks!

If it's got chunks of lye in it I would toss it. Not going to be able to dissolve it even in rebatch. Depending on your oils and SF it's likely not good for laundry either.

You worded your post that you added your water to your lye. Did you mean to say you added the lye to the water? That is the correct way to do it. Adding the water to the lye can cause a violent reaction that can volcano and cause injury and may be why you had the problem? I’m sure some with more experience can offer some advice.

You worded your post that you added your water to your lye. Did you mean to say you added the lye to the water? That is the correct way to do it. Adding the water to the lye can cause a violent reaction that can volcano and cause injury and may be why you had the problem? I’m sure some with more experience can offer some advice.
Sorry, I did add the lye to the water...just a typo mixup

Well, yesterday I added my water to my lye, and got distracted. Some of the lye got dissolved, but there was a huge chunk on the bottom. I put the dissolved lye in a separate bowl and broke up the chunk into smaller chunks and slowly mixed it into the dissolved lye. I thought I had it all dissolved. When I poured my batter, there were some chunks in it. I'm assuming they are lye chunks. My soap traced normally and gelled. I'm wondering if it will be OK or if I need to remelt and strain, use it for laundry, or trash it.

Thanks!
In terms of usability of end soap, I would err on the side of caution and go with the good advice that @shunt2011 suggests.

I noticed that you mentioned that you added your water to your lye. You should never do it that way. You should always add the lye to the water. Slowly add the lye to the water while stirring the water to keep things moving as the lye dissolves. This is the safe way to do it and you won't get a chunk of lye at the bottom. As a safeguard against anything unwanted ending up in your soap (undissolved lye or other particles) you can strain your lye solution. I do this as I add it to the oils. Be sure to only use a stainer made from stainless steel. Any other metals will react with the lye in soap making and should always be avoided.

Here's a video that shows how I add my lye solution to my oils (see 20 seconds in). Note: this is a coffee soap and the lye solution is made with coffee/distilled water giving it a dark brown colour:

I hope this helps!

Back