Is this an OK recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viva

Reaction score
I'm about to make my first batch of soap ever. Since my large order of basic ingredients hasn't arrived yet and I'd like to make a test batch to try out the method I'll take what I have at home. I ran the ingredients through soapcalc and ended up with this:

Coconut butter 23%
Olive oil 60%
Avocado butter 10%
Apricot kernel oil 7%

H=31
Cle=15
Cond=65
Bubb=15
Cream=15
Iod=65
INS=143

My question is, would this recipe make a good soap or would it be too soft? I think I've read somewhere that you should have at least 33% hard fat and in that case I'd need to add more coconut.

What do you think?

soap recipe

are you using a slab mold? i like to use some steric acid when i use more than 30% olive oil. you might run that thru soap calc. i find it also accelerates trace a bit.

it looks like a very nice conditioning bar.

monet

Re: soap recipe

heart of dixie soap co said:
are you using a slab mold?

Hmm...I don't know. What is it? I was thinking of using an old milk carton.

I'd lower the Avocado by about 5% and add some straight lard in there...trust me, You'll love the results!

;)

soap

a slab or tray mold is a mold that makes multiple bars of soap. soapmaker man has beautiful and very functional molds. he has pctures of his molds on his website.

but a milk carton should do just fine. i've used the quart size for many batches.

may you have many successes! and a home full of fragrance.

monet

Looks like a very luxurious soap as is to me! :)

It might take longer to harden up with the olive oil, but give it time and you will be rewarded with a very nice bar!

MikeInPdx said:
It might take longer to harden up with the olive oil, but give it time and you will be rewarded with a very nice bar!

How long do you think it will take? 4 weeks?

Thanks all for your advice and thoughts. I can't wait to start! :)

Probably a little longer than 4 weeks. OO takes a while to cure but when it does, it's like a rock. You could add between 1-3% stearic acid if you want a harder bar, and this will also add to the creaminess.

Back