Is this a mold/mushrooms or just soap "sweating"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimakessoap

Reaction score
Hi guys! I've checked some topics here and on the internet and still couldn't find what I deal with. I'd be very grateful if someone could explain what it is.

I made my first lavender soap and it's been its first curing week. Proportions: 950 gr olive oil, 50 gr coconut oil, 199 g water, 20 gr lavender essential oil, lavender buds (2 spoons). The first two days I stored it at the roof, the soap has started to sweat. Now I noticed these little black/dark orange liquids popping out (they weren't there before, the surface was totally white). What is this? are these some kind of mold/mushrooms? I tried to clean them with paper - it goes away just like a normal liquid but I noticed now some more liquid spots appeared!

Definitely, I don't know a lot of details since it's been my first soapmaking experience so again I'll be very grateful for ur help. Here are some photos.

Attachments

• 9CpGCqQFV4U.jpg
    9CpGCqQFV4U.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 36
  • cX0ZfqBOeK0.jpg
    cX0ZfqBOeK0.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 35
  • MEfC0Dy7gHY.jpg
    MEfC0Dy7gHY.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 35
Yes, that is just sweating. What do you mean stored it at the roof? What are you storing it in? I'm trying to work out what that clear plastic is being used for.

Welcome, Alimakessoap! :)

Ditto what Obsidian said. It's not mold or mushrooms.......it's just sweating. It looks like the darker color sweat could be from the lavender buds. Normally, when my soap sweats like that, the moisture will re-absorb over a few days. If some still leaks out, I just wipe it off.

Are you curing your soap on the plastic in the pictures? If so, that could be contributing to the build-up of sweat. It's better to cure soap on a rack that will allow for more air circulation.

IrishLass :)

thank you, guys, for replies!:)

Regarding plastic - it's just a DIY plastic bottom with holes so the soaps stand still and are totally open to the air circulation.

Latest posts

Back