Is this a good scale?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalSubstance

Reaction score
It's the ChefMate "Digital Nutritional Scale" that I just got from Target. It has an accuracy of +/- 0.05oz. or +/- 1g.

Is this good enough for weighing lye?

--Metal Substance

is that the one thats rated for 7lbs or 5lbs??

Id say either would work (ive got the 7lb digi) if your going to weigh in small amounts, but if you want to be making big batches...your going to do a lot of weighing!

IanT said:
is that the one thats rated for 7lbs or 5lbs??

Id say either would work (ive got the 7lb digi) if your going to weigh in small amounts, but if you want to be making big batches...your going to do a lot of weighing!

I believe it's rated for 72 oz., which would make it 4.5 lb. Not a big deal, since I mostly make 1 lb. batches anyway (although I'm thinking of switching to 2 lb. batches to help improve lye accuracy, and use TOMATO JUICE! :) )

I just used this scale for batch #7 and we'll see how it works out. It displays up to 2 decimal places for the weight measurement, and it "feels" pretty accurate.

--Metal Substance

It should be fine until you start making larger batches, 2 decimal places is good (the 100th place)... I like to weigh with these smaller scales in grams because its more accurate that way IMO, and I like working in grams because I can do the conversions a little easier...but thats just me, everyone develops their own way :)

I am just a newbie to soapmaking and have made my first 1lb batch successfully :)

I also purchased the same digital scale at Target. I think it works fine and can be set to grams or ounces, tare as well.

That is what I use with great success. Don't get lye directly on it, though. Mine has a hole burned on part of it.

A nifty tip I read before I started was to cover your scale with plastic wrap.

I take a piece and lightly lay it over the scale covering the buttons too. Then when I am done, toss it in the trash. It keeps the buttons clean and has protected the scale from spills and dribbles many times.

I change the plastic wrap after weighing lye (I do this outside) before bringing it back inside. I spilled some FO once and waited until I was completely finished with soaping and clean up to remove the plastic. It had melted onto the plate from the FO. I keep a paper towel nearby to blot in case I spill, but remove now it if it is something I think will eat it.

Digit

digit said:
A nifty tip I read before I started was to cover your scale with plastic wrap.
Why have I never thought of this?? My scale just died due to a nasty spill. :cry:

I need a new one ASAP...think I might have to stop by Target tonight...

Yeah, my grandmother did that, but its such a hassle for me. I only did it once and its just a little hole. It does work though, to put plastic on there.[/i]

Back