Is There Such a Thing as Wholesale???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would still freeze the oil if there isn't room in the refrigerator for it

They suggested best practice is to keep it at 50* F rather than freezing it. If there is no need to freeze it I wouldn’t personally do so.

Agreed. If there's room in the refrigerator, it's better off there.

I suspect that some damage may be done to flavour components of the oil for consumption, and there's something niggling at the back of my mind about increasing or triggering oxidation (by freezing and thawing), but for the life of me I can't remember what the context of that was.

But for soaping? It might be a useful solution for bulk purchases. I'm going to have a closer look at the idea and see if I can find out a little more about the physical changes to the oil from freezing :)

Hi All!
So, my question has to do with buying ingredients, or materials or whatever you want to call all of the things that go into making soap and bath products in general.
Is there any such thing as wholesale prices on any supplies or things like labels if you're an actual business with tax ID's and state registration all of that stuff? It seems to me that manufacturers of other goods can get materials at wholesale prices that the general public can't get, and that is a large part of how they make a profit (I know other things go into "profit" in general, like time etc.). I can't see that that is true for soap making. Does anyone have any knowledge about this to share? I am curious to know if I am missing something somewhere, aside from the fact that if you buy in bulk prices tend to go down. Is that how it works?

Yes, in the U.S. you can use a tax ID number to register with many wholesalers to purchase products used for re-sale. We used to own a restaurant and purchased from suppliers without having to pay tax until we later sold the food, passing the tax on to the buyer. Of course the caveat is that you cannot use any of the products purchased tax-free for personal home use unless you pay tax on that portion yourself. All you have to do is contact the suppliers and ask what is the process for purchasing as tax-exempt as a reseller and they will tell you what is required. As a re-seller we purchased from grocery stores (even small amounts was not a problem) in our local town, at Restaurant Supply stores and at Sam's Club, as well. Just about any large company should have processes in place to accommodate the tax-exempt purchase as long as you ask ahead of time and complete the proper forms for each supplier.

Latest posts

Back