Is there such a thing as hydrogenated corn oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
I'm on a quest, just for funsies, to create a bar from all USA ingredients and I'd like to include a hard oil/butter. The soft oils are rather easy, but I haven't learned of a hard oil/butter that hails from the US so I'm looking at hydrogenated oils. I've been surprised to find that, other than partially hydrogenated soy, there don't seem to be any hydrogenated oils not blended with palm. I've nothing against RSPO palm, mind you, but my quest is for USA sourced oils.

I have my heart set on hydrogenated corn oil, because my skin really likes high percentage corn oil soaps. I've emailed and called six corn oil refiners/suppliers, even reaching out to corn.org, and the typical reply is along the lines of "...there is such a thing, but we don't know where you can get it - even on an industrial scale..." One even replied that I needed to just do a google search...ummmmm...
I'm beginning to wonder if it even exists. So, does it really exist?? If so, where can it be purchased??

:)

CAN you hydrogenize corn oil? Sure.
Has any one? I hadn't heard of it but there's lots of things I've not heard of 🤣 and I was super curious so did a quick google search and found this (second result. Curious that it didn't show up in your search):
http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/vg1116671.html
There are two suppliers with links, listed.

I think the next question is: what are the results with it/is it worth it?

Also potentially of interest:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb11021.x
"Hydrogenated corn oil contained trans unsaturation and positional isomers not naturally found in corn oil."

CAN you hydrogenize corn oil? Sure.
Has any one? I hadn't heard of it but there's lots of things I've not heard of 🤣 and I was super curious so did a quick google search and found this (second result. Curious that it didn't show up in your search):
http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/vg1116671.html
There are two suppliers with links, listed.

I think the next question is: what are the results with it/is it worth it?
I DID indeed find that link and reached out to both suppliers, even though one is in the EU. :) Turns out that neither makes hydrogenated corn oil. The first supplier told me they've never had a product "pk-22". I never reached out to goodscents...

Oh and is it worth it - probably not, but I gots to know!! :rolling:

Also potentially of interest:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb11021.x
"Hydrogenated corn oil contained trans unsaturation and positional isomers not naturally found in corn oil."
Yes - I've found many similar articles about margarine and products made from hydrogenated corn oil. I even thought of just buying some margarine, but then I looked at many labels and they were all soy based... so sad!! LOL

Last edited:
Yes - I've found many similar articles about margarine and products made from hydrogenated corn oil. I even thought of just buying some margarine, but then I looked at many labels and they were all soy based... so sad!! LOL
Interesting that both suppliers were like "NOPE!"

I wonder if the isomers from hydrogenation changes it properties in soap.

I know - right?! And, yes, I'm wondering that too. I'm assuming it will due to the increase in stearic acid - though I'm not at all clear on the science of hydrogenation. I understand the process and the end result, but that's about it.
Oh, the suspense...

would cottonseed oil count for your quest? Some versions of crisco used cottonseed. I may be thinking of an old formulation but it is a solid oil

would cottonseed oil count for your quest? Some versions of crisco used cottonseed. I may be thinking of an old formulation but it is a solid oil
Funny you should say this because that's what I've started looking into now, and it looks like I'll have a much better chance of finding hydrogenated cottonseed oil. One would think a girl who's step-daddy grew up on a cotton farm would have thought about cottonseed oil first thing!

I'm on a quest, just for funsies, to create a bar from all USA ingredients and I'd like to include a hard oil/butter. The soft oils are rather easy, but I haven't learned of a hard oil/butter that hails from the US so I'm looking at hydrogenated oils. I've been surprised to find that, other than partially hydrogenated soy, there don't seem to be any hydrogenated oils not blended with palm. I've nothing against RSPO palm, mind you, but my quest is for USA sourced oils.

I have my heart set on hydrogenated corn oil, because my skin really likes high percentage corn oil soaps. I've emailed and called six corn oil refiners/suppliers, even reaching out to corn.org, and the typical reply is along the lines of "...there is such a thing, but we don't know where you can get it - even on an industrial scale..." One even replied that I needed to just do a google search...ummmmm...
I'm beginning to wonder if it even exists. So, does it really exist?? If so, where can it be purchased??

:)

What about soy wax? It is a hydrogenated soy oil; definitely USA. Soybean fields abound in my part of the midwest, as to corn fields; the farmers tend to rotate these crops.

Hydrogenated cottonseed oil is apparently used in cosmetics, but I have not seen it for sale by any of the vendors I use. Maybe you can find sources.

But I am wondering if you are only looking for a solid oil from the US that is not animal fat? Certainly US animal fats would qualify if all you want are hard oils from the US.

What about soy wax? It is a hydrogenated soy oil; definitely USA. Soybean fields abound in my part of the midwest, as to corn fields; the farmers tend to rotate these crops.

Hydrogenated cottonseed oil is apparently used in cosmetics, but I have not seen it for sale by any of the vendors I use. Maybe you can find sources.

But I am wondering if you are only looking for a solid oil from the US that is not animal fat? Certainly US animal fats would qualify if all you want are hard oils from the US.
Thanks, Earline. I haven't been able to find soy wax, but I just looked on amazon and there it is. How funny. I'd looked at candle making supply sites, but kept finding it mixed with other waxes. Looking at my browser history I can see that I searched for it, but I guess maybe my searches weren't bringing up amazon? Why, there's even an organic soy wax there! Not exactly cheap, but the price isn't out of the question for an experiment. I feel rather silly now... :beatinghead: I'd still love to find hydrogenated corn oil, but soy wax definitely fits the requirements.

On animal fat. I don't mind it, really, though I'd rather stick with veg oils. Hubby, who's one of those "manly men", says he can't shake the thought that he's rubbing bacon grease on him when he uses a lard bar. I keep telling him that might not be an entirely bad thing. LOLOL The catch with animal fat is finding pure lard or tallow up here. We have one almost real butcher within 80 miles of us (he gets larger pieces of meat, but not whole or even half sides of beef) but he doesn't process pork, and he gets very little unused beef fat. The lard bars I've made were from our home cooking rendered pork fat - which I find to be a big pain, and rather stinky.

For soap, I use this from Amazon: Golden Brands Natural Soy 125 (415) Wax. When I last bought it, the price per ounce was 17¢, but now it is about 18¢ per ounce. Still that's not a large increase in 3 years. Here is another source for Golden Wax 415 Soy Wax from Candle Science, which per ounce price is much lower until I add on the shipping cost, which brings it up to 18¢ per ounce, so not a significant savings. From eBay, it is available for about the same price per ounce from Candle Supply Wholesale in the 10 pound bag (here.) So you can do what I did and choose the option that best suits your own online purchase preferences. There are other sources listed in some of the links in soy wax threads.

There are many threads on the use of soy wax in soap here on the forum, and if you read up on them, you'll find that 415 soy wax is suggested for soap. I got interested in soy wax as a soapmaking oil in 2017 inspired by Saranac's post in this thread (post #58). In this post, I list several soy wax in soap threads, but there are even more since 2018.

If you do find hydrogenated corn oil, I would be very interested in your finding.

Thanks much for that link, earlene. You've saved me hours, I'm sure. The soy wax I found yesterday turned out to be a blend of soy with paraffin, which is the problem I've had before in trying to find soy wax. Perhaps I'm too impatient, but once I waste a whole afternoon of failing to find something online, I typically give up for awhile. Really appreciate it, and I'll let you know if I find the elusive hydrogenated corn oil!

Back