Is there something wrong with my ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armaroma

Reaction score
I made body soap bars but I got some itchiness on my body especially with my legs. I don't know what was wrong with my ingredients. I cured my soap for 6 weeks. Is there something wrong with my ingredients?

Ingredients:
10 oz olive oil
9 oz coconut oil
5 oz apricot kernel
4 oz castor oil
4 oz cocoa butter
2 oz shea butter
4.5 oz lye
12 oz distilled water
10% fats

it might be the coconut oil. Your recipe is almost 25% Coconut oil. That is more than most people put in their recipes because at that high amount it strips the skin of its natural oils. I would lower it to about 15% or even 10% and up the shea and cocoa butter.

Before you made this soap what kind of soap did you used to use, and did that make your legs itchy? If it was liquid soap then it would more than likely be synthetic detergents, and it could be that you are sensitive to one or more of the ingredients in your soap. Some culprits can be coconut and olive.
As @SoapDaddy70 has suggested you might want to lower your CO. I use it at 20%.
AT the end of your recipe you say 10% fats. Did you mean 10% superfat? Thats a high superfat - most of us use 5% or even less. Although I doubt excessive superfat would cause itching - quite the opposite in fact.
Try a recipe with a little less CO and see how you go. If that doesn't work (and it still itches), try it with no OO. In any case I think you might be better with a little more Cocoa or shea to create a longer lasting bar. Keep us posted!

Consider that your legs may be itchy because we have moved into short days and you have an increased need for vitamin D in your diet or a supplement. Soap may exacerbate symptoms, but may not be the root cause. My husband broke out in an itchy rash on his shins every year from fall until spring. He started taking vitamin D supplements and has never had the problem again. Just a thought for you.

Thanks for your replies... I used soap with high content of coconut oil beforehand given by my friend and it was totally fine, then I made this soap myself. I figured out that it might be the weather that triggers the itchiness. I am also low in vitamin D 😅.

Yes, I am planning to do lotion bars after the holidays. ☺

@KiwiMoose that is the next question I am about to ask, how much superfats we should be using to maintain the hardness and moisturizing effect of the soap. My friend usually used 10% superfats and that is what I do too but the soap won't last long... thanks for the info.

Have you used this soap recipe before? Could it be the change in weather causing the itchiness and dryness? My skin gets extremely dry and itchy when the seasons change.

No that was my first body soap. I guess it could be the weather if nothing's wrong with the soap.

Back