Is there a scent that works well with Tea Tree Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyRat

Reaction score
I make a charcoal face soap and one of the ingredients is tea tree oil. The soap feels great on the skin and I've been told it works well for acne but, it smells a bit like turpentine. Is there a scent that will help mask it or at least make it more palatable?

I made a scent blend just this afternoon which was mostly cedar and lemon verbena to disguise the smell of the tea tree EO which it also contained. I think it worked pretty well.

Tea tree EO has grown on me, and I actually like it now. I like it blended with something lemon-y and use either litsea or lemongrass 2:1 (1 part tea tree). I think that @Tara_H had a good suggestion with the addition of cedarwood if you want to mask the tea tree scent.

Peppermint works well with Tea Tree. Careful how much, it tingles. I also like the Tea Tree, Peppermint and Pachouly blend and sell it to men as Refreshing Deodorant Soap.

Tea tree EO has grown on me, and I actually like it now. I like it blended with something lemon-y and use either litsea or lemongrass 2:1 (1 part tea tree). I think that @Tara_H had a good suggestion with the addition of cedarwood if you want to mask the tea tree scent.
I'm actually quite a fan of tea tree too, but it can be a bit medicinal, and this was for a gift so I didn't want it to be in-your-face tea tree!

A good consensus candidate just in the middle between tea tree and lemon might be Leptospermum petersonii, the lemon-scented tea tree. Botanically, it's a close relative to tea tree (myrtle), but it smells quite citrusy.

Charcoal soaps scented with lavender and tea tree seem to be very popular with the masses. Haven't tried it myself, but when I'm making a new blend, I put a few drops of each EO onto a single cotton ball, and then put the cotton ball in small airtight container or zip-top baggie for a few hours. That gives the EOs time to "meld," if you will, so I get a much better approximation of how the mixed scent will actually smell in my products.

Good suggestions folks, thanks!

@Adobehead my experience with patchouli is limited but, from what I've seen people either love blends with patchouli or they hate them. There's no in between. I love them but, that may be something I try later.

@AliOop that's a great suggestion and I'd love to try it but, my wife is beginning to think she's sensitive to lavender and she might be right. I think I'm going to try the cedar with lemon grass.

Well since my wife has decided she's sensitive to lavender, so far, I'm going with lemon grass and cedar. I'm in a podunk town so I have to order things like this. I've received the cedar. The lemon grass hasn't made it yet. When it does, I'll give it a shot. I'll come back a let you know how it goes.

I've used litsea too. But I know folks who LOVE that their soap smells like tea tree, so I stopped trying to mask it. I like tea tree too, especially in the warm summer months. Mint works well with tea tree, I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back