Is there a natural vanilla fragrance for HP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soul_Healthy

Reaction score
I'm in desperate need for a way to make vanilla soap. I don't trust anything labeled vanilla EO because I don't believe it exists. I've also read that vanilla extract only lasts a while until the scent fades. Is there anyway to get the vanilla smell without using fragrance oil? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with FO; I just market my business as straight up natural, using only clays and EOs for fragrance. Thanks for your help!

...clays and spices for colorants, I should add... :)

Or maybe you guys know another warm, sweet scent out in the soap world that I haven't used yet. Would sandalwood be something similar? Could I blend some things together?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard Benzoin essential oil smells vanilla like. I've never used it though so I can't speak to the truth of it.

Peru Balsam and Benzoin both have vanilla-like elements. Both are potential skin irritants, though.

Vanilla Eo is an absolute. There is also benzoin EO which has a vanilla-like aroma. Both are expensive.

I just purchased some Peru Balsam. I read it can cause sensitization. Is there a certain amount I need to use in a 2 lb. batch? I've used .5 oz. of clove in a 2 lb. batch before along with orange and ground cinnamon, and it didn't irritate my family's skin. What do you guys think?

Vanilla Eo is an absolute. There is also benzoin EO which has a vanilla-like aroma. Both are expensive.

I've not seen Benzoin priced much higher than a lot of EO. In fact a lot of time it seemed cheaper. Bulk Apothecary has a 2 oz bottle for $6.

I just purchased some Peru Balsam. I read it can cause sensitization. Is there a certain amount I need to use in a 2 lb. batch? I've used .5 oz. of clove in a 2 lb. batch before along with orange and ground cinnamon, and it didn't irritate my family's skin. What do you guys think?

I think that is 3 times the maximum recommended safe usage rate for clove, and that's before you added cinnamon. It would burn my skin off, and even on people that don't have sensitive skin over time it can cause irritation.

There is no fragrance that I love and need so much that I am willing to exceed safe guidelines to get.

Yes, I know, "some people" can use it just fine without a problem, but "some people" can also drink a 6 pack of beer without feeling drunk, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

As for vanilla, I second trying the benzoin or shelling out the bucks for the vanilla oleoresin or absolute.

Check the IFRA Banned & Restricted Oils list for percentages for the spice eo's.

There is a vanilla absolute which is amazing and incredibly expensive.

Just a quick note about the "safe" rate for most essentials being a combined rate of 3%. By combined rate I mean all the EO's add up to 3% or about .5 ounce PPO. The reason behind this is that essential oils were developed for medicinal uses, at the time no-one even thought of using them in soap. At any rate anything over 3% becomes therapeutic and at 5% is fully therapeutic. Yes I know that soap is a wash-off product but let's think about what makes our soaps so special, it's the superfat. Well essential oils do not saponify as they are not a true oil, so where do you think they go? They end up combined with the free floating oils of the SF. Now there is a supposition that saponification destroys the therapeutic properties of the EO because after all look at the citrus scents, they disappear so how can the therapeutic properties remain? Scent is just one part of the whole. According to Robert Tisserand the therapeutic properties survive saponification.

This was longer than intended but I wanted to explain the 3% rule on most essential oils.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back