Is the the water counted??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
I would like to know if the lye water solution is counted in soap making? I ask this because I realized that the calculator only gives the oil amount and the water amount is is not counted. Why is that? I thought that if the oils equal to 20 oz and water is 6 oz the total on the calculator would say 26oz. Doesn’t it all contribute to the size of the bar of soap?

Help Please!!

Here's an example from soapcalc.net
upload_2019-1-7_16-45-41.png

At the top of the recipe is your total oils weight, further down is the breakdown of water, lye, oils, fragrance and finally the total weight of your batch before curing.

Water is essential for most of the soaping reactions people discuss here. Different types of recipes use differing amounts and ratios of water, but they pretty much all require water. Once the soap reaction has finished, though, the water becomes less important and much of it evaporates from the bars over time - they shrink.

The recipes I use all account for water, with its amount depending largely on: The amount and nature of the oils used, the amount of superfatting; the type of alkali, and whether I'm using water as % of oils, lye of a specific concentration, or a particular water:lye ratio. With the exception of liquid soaps that amount of water contributes only a fairly small amount towards the final weight of the soaps. It's the weight of oils that does that.

Here's a recipe from the calculator I use. I have specified the amount and type of oil, zero superfatting, and the water:lye ratio I want to use and it has told me I need 115.15g of water and 67.74g of sodium hydroxide.

When you're doing the reaction this mixture will weigh around 680g. If you left the soaps to cure for, say, 90 days then you're likely to have a weight of around 600g … some 10-15% of the soap bar weight will have evaporated away during the cure*.

recipe.png

* The curing of soap is more than just evaporation, although evaporation is a major part of the process. Curing also allows the bars to harden, albeit mostly dues to evaporation. Curing also allows some moderation of the alkalinity of the soap by reaction with carbon dioxide in the air.

Oh wow, I have lots to learn. Thank you all for clearing up my confusion.❤️

Latest posts

Back