Is sterilizing necessary?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassgirl

Reaction score
When I was reading about making lotion, they talked a lot about sterlizing tools, equipment, containers, etc. Is that only because of the water content? Is it necessary to sterilize everything/anything to make soap or balms with no water added?

Thanks!

There are scientific arguments, that as long as a product is properly preserved, even if it contains water, sterilization of containers is not necessary.

Thanks for the responses.

I am attempting to make all-natural soap with no synthetic preservatives, so I want everything going for me that I can. I'll be using Vitamin E and the more stable oils, so I hope that will be enough.

Even though I can't imagine how ANY bacteria would live through a lye pour, I am very careful not to touch any parts of my oils or ingredients. I work with spoon and spatula. I sometimes wonder if DOS is caused by contamination during the process??? The skin carries staph bacteria, naturally, and is a notorius host/carrier for many other bacterias, especially on the hands. That being said...I never sterilize anything, but everything is kept very clean.

Edited for typo and to add something.

CiCi said:
Even though I can't imagine how ANY bacteria would live through a lye pour, I am very careful not to touch any parts of my oils or ingredients. I work with spoon and spatula. I sometimes wonder if DOS is caused by contamination during the process??? The skin carries staph bacteria, naturally. That being said...I never steralize anything, but everything is kept very clean.

Exactly my plan...thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back