is sdecker here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
I received a PM question this morning from him (he signs 'Zach'. But he has no posts in this forum, so I'm curious.

Here wes his question:

Subject: Resurfacing damaged soap? Quote message
Hi, Some of my homemade soaps have become ashy and scarred because of handling and storage. Would you suggest a dry towel to polish them back into good shape? If so, what type of towel do you suggest I use.

Thank you for your help.

*Zach

and this is the answer I gave him:

Hi z.

I don't re-sell damaged soap, but give it as gifts or use it at home. I have one wholesale account, and replace damaged bars on a regular basis.

First I would ask myself: why do the bars get scarred and damaged? Perhaps the venue where they are stored does not have proper respect for the goods in their place? Is turnover very slow? If so, I would look for another outlet.

However, if it occurs seldom, and if you really need to pretty up the damaged bars, here's a suggestion.

I find that, on occasion, some of my new bars come out of the mold looking a bit crumbly due to peeling off the lexan liner from the soap log, To smooth them, I use a small hand plane (woodworking one), then a wall scraper which also serves as my bar cutter, just gently running the edge of it over the surface. Then a dry cloth like a smooth cotton dish towel, to polish at the very end. I wear surgical gloves if handling a bar excessively, to avoid transferring my skin oils to it, as well as to keep soap off my hands.

Hope this helps.

Woodi said:
Anyone else care to answer his question too?

I've used ladies nylons before to polish my soap. I used the knee highs. I got this trick from another forum a few years ago. It works too! :shock: :D :lol:

Paul

I have seen suppliers sell polishing cloths, but i do not know what they are made of.

I don’t sell soap, atleast havent yet.. However I like the soap to look nice, even if it just gets boxed up. Occasionally if I have a bar that’s a little rough but not to bad I use a wet sponge to lightly go across the surface then let it air dry. If it looks ok after I box it, If not I use it. Mostly I find this happens when I'm impatient and don’t let the soap harden sufficiently.

Woodi I think your advice is very sound. I will get some surgical gloves. Making soap dries my skin something fierce. Plus I'm finding if I’m exposed to an FO to much via my hands I get where I can’t stand to smell it and the soap makes me want to exhaust the contents of my stomach, You know, PUKE! So the gloves may also solve this problem for me.

The down side of surgical gloves and working with FO is the same concept and condoms and oil. They don't mix and the oils will break down the gloves and they will rip and well it's not a fun thing to deal with when your in the process of woking on something.

A better choice is those pretty yellow playtex cleaning gloves. They are very durable and washable. I've had my pair for a long time now and I just wash and dry and use.

Just something you might want to keep in mind.

faithy said:
The down side of surgical gloves and working with FO is the same concept with condoms and oil. They don't mix and the oils will break down the gloves and they will rip and well it's not a fun thing to deal with when your in the process of woking on something.
:D I HAD to point this out cause it made me giggle.... I'm suprised I beat Dragon to it......

Soapmaker Man said:
Woodi said:
Anyone else care to answer his question too?

I've used ladies nylons before to polish my soap. I used the knee highs. I got this trick from another forum a few years ago. It works too! :shock: :D :lol:

Paul

Hey Paul - LOL - I am thinking about how funny it must be when you purchase knee highs! Good idea though. :)

Back