Is my soap safe to use ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rohit Sri

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. I have been experimenting with my new soap making recipes. Yesterday I had the following sequence of events with my new batch of soap (Mix of Olive, Coconut, Neem & Castor oil, with calculations from SoapCalc)
1) As soon as poured the lye water in oil, it immediately showed signs of solidification wherever the lye hit the soap first. The mixing temperature of both lye and oil was about 131 deg, so I am guessing temperature was not the issue.
2) Used stick blender, however, within seconds , the entire solution became extremely thick (almost like very thick custard). It was getting hard to use the blender, however, I continued blending.
3) After 4-5 mins of blending, I poured it in mould. However, within 30-60 mins or so, the color of blend changed from creamy yellow to almost dark green (almost like the color of neem oil). So, I guessed it has separated.
4) Poured it back into mixing container , and blended it again using a spoon for 15 mins or so minutes, over hot water. The color came back to creamy yellow. Poured it back in soap mould (however, this time i used single section soap moulds, instead of loaf , as it was quite thick). The soap is sitting there since past 20 hours, and there seems to be no separation and the color is still creamy yellow.

So, my question is: Have i saved the batch from getting ruined ? is it still safe to use these soaps ?

Thanks !

Hi Rohit, could you please post your recipe? How much oil, lye, water etc?

It is as following:
Grams​
Water -->> 190.00
Lye - NaOH -->> 69.84
Oils -->> 500.00

Oil/Fat % Grams
Olive Oil -->> 50.00 %, 250.00
Coconut Oil -->> 25.00 %, 125.00
Neem Oil -->> 15.00 %, 75.00
Castor Oil -->> 10.00 %, 50.00

130 is way too hot to soap. The hotter, the faster is will thicken.
You really only need your oils warm enough to melt and be totally clear. Lye solution can be between room temp and 100 F.

You used a fair amount of oils that can increase how fast a soap traces. Coconut, neem and castor can all speed trace. That combined with the heat, its not surprising it moved fast.

The color change you saw wasn't separation, it was the soap going into gel stage. That where the batter starts to saponify quickly and it produces heat.

Coconut and neem both heat up easy and gel fast. You didn't need to stir it, it would have been fine.
It can overheat and separate if it gets too hot. When that happens you'll see oil form on top or crack appear. If that happens you need to cool the soap quickly. You can use a fan or pop it in the freezer.

Your soap should be just fine. Get it cut and zap test it in a few days. That is the ultimate test.

Unfortunately i lost my perfect translucent gel phase, due to unmoulding and mixing. I guess, i will try it next time, and see if it repeats. The above recipe should give dark translucent green gel soap.

Latest posts

Back