Is my soap garbage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angezzz

Reaction score
I just realized I put Palm Oil in my soap calc when I am actually using Palm Kernel Oil. After my soap was made and I realized this I returned to soap calc and the numbers are now crazy....

:???:

The INS is 205
Hardness is 58
Cleansing is 49
Conditioning is 35
Bubbly is 72
Creamy is 31
Iodine is 33.

The Sat: UnSat Ratio is 62:38.

Is it garbage?????

I just realized I put Palm Oil in my soap calc when I am actually using Palm Kernel Oil. After my soap was made and I realized this I returned to soap calc and the numbers are now crazy....

:???:

The INS is 205
Hardness is 58
Cleansing is 49
Conditioning is 35
Bubbly is 72
Creamy is 31
Iodine is 33.

The Sat: UnSat Ratio is 62:38.

Is it garbage?????

If you post your entire recipe in oz as well as your water/lye amounts and SF we can help you more.

Yup, we need the entire recipe.

Assuming you built in a superfat, your soap is probably not lye heavy. PKO is milder than coconut, so your soap may be a bit on the harsh side but not too bad.

This was for a lemongrass shave bar with Bentonite Clay

Castor-14 OZ
Palm Kernel Oil- 22 OZ
Coconut Oil- 20oz

Water-21 oz
Lye- 9 oz

Superfat 5%

That will not be a very good soap. I most certainly would not use it on my face. Also, even if it was done the way you had planned it wouldn't be a good shave soap. Regular CP soap won't make a very good shave soap.

If you are looking to make shave soap check out this thread. It's long but a great one.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=34264

Is it garbage:
That depends on how high a superfat you might find acceptable. You used about .5% less lye than you would have used with palm oil, giving yourself a higher superfat of approx 25%. You can let it cure and confetti it if the high superfat bothers you. I have done this before and just confetti it into a new batch of a low superfat soap. It makes a very nice soap

I also had a batch of over-superfated soap - a year after being made it was still soft and greasy. I shredded it and mixed it with a recipe that had a 3% superfat and it was fine.

I also had a batch of over-superfated soap - a year after being made it was still soft and greasy. I shredded it and mixed it with a recipe that had a 3% superfat and it was fine.
Mine never stayed soft, but was still oily feeling. LOL, I still have to make that same soap since people love it. It was one of my Camel milk soaps and with camel's milk being $30 per pint I was not wasting the overly superfatted soap charcoal soap. I did a 2% superfat in my normal batch with the approx 25% superfatted soap. I am thinking the charcoal absorbed some of the oil since the bar did not stay soft. It was a high charcoal soap

If what you actually made is this:

Castor-14 OZ
Palm Kernel Oil- 22 OZ
Coconut Oil- 20oz

Water-21 oz
Lye- 9 oz

Superfat 5%

Then your recipe is correct at 9 oz of NaOH for this combo of palm kernel oil, castor, and coconut oil. It looks like you may have really chose PKO when you thought you chose palm oil in the calc. I might be misunderstanding you, however.

As far as either blend of fats being a good shave soap -- I agree with the others that neither would be suitable for shave soap.

As a bath bar, the PKO+CO+castor recipe would be very drying to most people's skin. The palm+CO+castor version might be too, but there would be many people who would be fine with that one. (I'm assuming the lye amount is correct in all cases.)

If what you actually made is this:

Castor-14 OZ
Palm Kernel Oil- 22 OZ
Coconut Oil- 20oz

Water-21 oz
Lye- 9 oz

Superfat 5%

Then your recipe is correct at 9 oz of NaOH for this combo of palm kernel oil, castor, and coconut oil. It looks like you may have really chose PKO when you thought you chose palm oil in the calc. I might be misunderstanding you, however.

As far as either blend of fats being a good shave soap -- I agree with the others that neither would be suitable for shave soap.

As a bath bar, the PKO+CO+castor recipe would be very drying to most people's skin. The palm+CO+castor version might be too, but there would be many people who would be fine with that one. (I'm assuming the lye amount is correct in all cases.)
I was understanding that palm was used for sap and not pko, but maybe I was wrong.

That will not be a very good soap. I most certainly would not use it on my face. Also, even if it was done the way you had planned it wouldn't be a good shave soap. Regular CP soap won't make a very good shave soap.

If you are looking to make shave soap check out this thread. It's long but a great one.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=34264

I agree.

That is 25% castor oil.
I find 10% castor oil makes a sticky soap. I use 5%.

I was understanding that palm was used for sap and not pko, but maybe I was wrong.

Carolyn, that's how I read it too, but when I calculated the version with palm and another version with PKO, I got about 8.1 oz NaOH for palm and 9 oz NaOH for the PKO version.

So I'm not sure if I'm misreading the OP's situation or I'm having a brain meltdown (it's been one of those days) or what. :)

Carolyn, that's how I read it too, but when I calculated the version with palm and another version with PKO, I got about 8.1 oz NaOH for palm and 9 oz NaOH for the PKO version.

So I'm not sure if I'm misreading the OP's situation or I'm having a brain meltdown (it's been one of those days) or what. :)
I did not have her ingredients when I check I only went by palm versus pko, so I am sure your numbers are right. I come up with 8.8 oz of lye needed if using pko setting and 8.1 oz if using the palm setting. This was using soap calc, I am much to lazy to figure out manually. So not sure what was plugged in for the lye

Last edited:
I don't think that any shaver who knows what they are doing would use either of those recipes I'm afraid.

Check out the "my first shaving soap" thread. You might well have seen in when you browsed through the forum as it's never too far away from the front page. It's a long read but a good one

Both Palm and Palm Kernel are for soap, but they have different uses. Palm is the veg equivalent of lard or tallow. You use it for a hard, long-lasting bar. Palm Kernel is similar to coconut. You use it for lather and for cleansing. It is gentler than coconut, so some people use it instead.

Back