Is my recipe correct?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harshaa25

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am from India and it is quite common here to use maximum percentage of coconut oil in soaps. I have made a couple of batches with 90% coconut oil and goatmilk & it turned out to be fine.

I made the following batch, and for some reason, as soon as I pat my skin with towel after shower, I see small white patches on my skin (hands/legs) which appear like small flakes. I wondered if it was lye heavy but after running the recipe through soapcalc, I found that is not the case.

Any insights on what could cause this?

Lye - 116 grams
Water - 266 grams

595 grams - Coconut oil
15 grams - Avocado butter
60 grams - Olive oil
20 grams - Sesame oil
10 grams - Castor oil
20 grams - Dried mint (ground)
5 grams - Lemon peel powder
10 grams - Peppermint E.O
10 grams - Bergamot E.O

FYI, instead of using blender, I used whisk to mix the lye/oil solution.

Thanks much!

Hi guys,

I am from India and it is quite common here to use maximum percentage of coconut oil in soaps. I have made a couple of batches with 90% coconut oil and goatmilk & it turned out to be fine.

I made the following batch, and for some reason, as soon as I pat my skin with towel after shower, I see small white patches on my skin (hands/legs) which appear like small flakes. I wondered if it was lye heavy but after running the recipe through soapcalc, I found that is not the case.

Any insights on what could cause this?

Lye - 116 grams
Water - 266 grams

595 grams - Coconut oil
15 grams - Avocado butter
60 grams - Olive oil
20 grams - Sesame oil
10 grams - Castor oil
20 grams - Dried mint (ground)
5 grams - Lemon peel powder
10 grams - Peppermint E.O
10 grams - Bergamot E.O

FYI, instead of using blender, I used whisk to mix the lye/oil solution.

Thanks much!

What is the superfat percentage for your recipe? When people use such high coconut oil, the super is often 15 - 20% because saponified coconut oil is so drying for the skin.

We have to get to sleep here, so I can't take the time to put your recipe through a soap calculator. But this might give you something to consider until another soaper can help.

5% for high coconut soap is going to be extremely drying to mist a lift everyone. What did you use for the additional 10%? 15-20% SF and a good cure will make it a better soap.

your second recipe I’d be concerned worth the Sesame Oil as it has a short shelf life and will be more prone to DOS. Also with the mint and lemon leaf they may be scratchy.

Do you have easy access to palm oil? If so, I would decrease the cocononut oil to 25%, eliminate the sesame oil and use palm oil to fill in for the eliminated and decreased amount of oil.

I agree with all of the above. I would also ask how long you are letting the soap cure? At least four weeks should be the minimum.

Another choice to consider would be 10-20% neem oil. Although it is a bit stinky before curing and will turn your soap brown, it is wonderful on skin. And I’m guessing you would have good access to it there.

Back