Is my recipe considered "vegan?"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
Ingredients I use are the following: olive oil, coconut oil (76), avocado oil, castor oil, shea butter, sweet almond oil, rice bran oil, water, lye, fragrance

Colorants I use are from TKB Trading that states they do not do animal testing, and the fragrance I use are from WholeSalesupply plus. Is adding fragrance to a soap makes it.. not vegan? How about adding coco powder to your soap? No longer vegan? I'm sorry if I sound dumb :(. In labeling can you put "vegan friendly" I just dont know what to call it.

Thank you for your swift reply :). Also can I ask one more thing? Using Sodium lactate helps harden the soap a bit and helps with umolding. I added a teaspoon per lb of oil. I think it is a natural perservative but it would be false if I labeled it "perservative free" even though it is natural?

It is not a preservative. Currently there is no natural ingredient that is proven to work as a preservative. At one time grape seed oil was thought to be a preservative, until they realized that the oil had a synthetic preservative added to it which was causing the lower levels of bacteria, mold, and yeast. When they retested the oil without the preservative added it failed to reduce bacteria levels.

I use sodium lactate at 1-2%. It helps a great deal with making unmolding from my silicone molds easier. I agree with the others, no preservative is needed in soap.

Also, after reading your other post,your are still in the learning mode. These are the basic kinds of questions a beginner asks. We love to help out but, I would seriously reconsider selling until you know more. Keep making your soap and see how it evolves over time. Get to know your soap and how it's going to be in 3-6-9 months. You want to sell a quality product and have return customers.

As snappy said, no beeswax or animal milks etc. if you want to make vegan. Just wanted to mention you should also check your colorants for carmine as an ingredient, as that is not vegan.

about production

Speaking with experience from some seriously VEGAN friends...some vegan folks would also be concerned that the product not be made in a vessel or with tools that had made non vegan product. If you were that serious and were selling it might be an additional concern. My vegan friends would not eat food prepped with tools that had touched non vegan foods. I know it's obsessive to some, but that was their belief and they stuck to it.

Speaking with experience from some seriously VEGAN friends...some vegan folks would also be concerned that the product not be made in a vessel or with tools that had made non vegan product. If you were that serious and were selling it might be an additional concern. My vegan friends would not eat food prepped with tools that had touched non vegan foods. I know it's obsessive to some, but that was their belief and they stuck to it.

I am sorry, but that seems a little extreme. Someone with a peanut allergy, I can understand needing to make sure that things aren't mixed. But not being able to cut a tomato with the same knife used to cut a chicken breast even if it is washed...........? They can't catch meat!

The beer is a very interesting point, indeed - knowing where the ingredients come from if it is not clear. For example, some sources of Stearic Acid aren't vegan-friendly

Back