Is Jojoba oil a hard or soft oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reallyrita

Reaction score
I know that jojoba is technically a wax but when figuring out a recipe, should it be in the soft oil or hard oil category...or just considered an additive ?

Well, it's definitely not known for lending any hardness to soap, it seems. It has 12% oleic according to the SoapCalc site, and that's all it has listed. There are no stearic, palmitic, myristic, or lauric acids in it, all of which contribute to hardness. HTH!

IrishLass

Maybe this will help: http://www.soapnaturally.org/oilproperties.html

From my notes: Jojoba
Jojoba helps to promote a stable lather and is good at conditioning skin. Because of its expense, it's usually used to superfat soap batches or in shampoo bars. It is an excellent emollient for skin conditions like psoriasis, because it has a chemical composition very close to the skin's own sebum. It is suitable for all skin types, beneficial for spotty and acne conditions, and good for sensitive and oily skin. It also helps to unclog the pores and remove any embedded grime, restores and conditions hair. When using Jojoba in soap, limit its usage to one or two ounces per pound at trace. Jojoba naturally accelerates tracing in soap recipes. Used as a Superfatting oil.

Digit

reallyrita said:
you must have awesome notes!

Well, thank you. The question now is..................are you really Rita or not? :lol: :lol:

I have read in a few web sites and in a natural health care store that the oil is also one that is pretty close to our skins natural oil makeup. I don't know how accurate this information is but I do know that I love it! :wink: The kind I buy is a liquid oil but you may be able to find a solid oil I am not positive though.

Yup, really and truly...I really am a Rita!

my jojoba is liquid too. I have never seen solid. I guess that would answer my question....it is a soft oil, but actually, it is a wax...therefore, my question! :wink:

Latest posts

Back