Is it possible to mix rebatch into cp or hp during the saponification process?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosmerta

Reaction score
The title says it all. As i mentioned in the essential oils forum last week, (https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/blend-to-cover-stinky-eo.77771/) i ruined a batch of oils by pouring rancid EO into the mix. I did not add any lye, and the soaping oils mixed with the rancid EO are sitting in a leftover jug until I can find a proper use for them. Right now I think I've decided to add pumice and turn this stinky oil mix into a garage soap.

When I bevel my bars of soap I keep the scraps in a container which was I was planning to turn into rebatch with pumice for a similar use.

If I rebatch the scraps, would it be possible to mix the rebatch mush into the emulsified stinky oil batter. I'm hoping the extra weight of the rebatch will help diffuse the rancid EO so it's less noticeable. Depending on the outcome I may add some Lavender EO to blend with the smell.

I think this would also be a cool experiment, but if it simply isn't feasible my next plan of action is to saponify the stinky oils then add it to the rebatch.

Last edited:
I didn't see the post you are talking about, however if the EO truly was/is rancid I would not add it to a new batch. You will have a higher chance of DOS doing this.

I'm wondering if you could let the oils and essential oils seperate, put the pot in the fridge and then lift out the fat, leaving the oils behind? do EOs float to the top or sink to the bottom?

I didn't see the post you are talking about, however if the EO truly was/is rancid I would not add it to a new batch. You will have a higher chance of DOS doing this.

I understand, that's why I have chosen to use the oils in a utility soap. I will just be keeping these soaps for myself and my boyfriend to use, and giving to family members instead of selling. I'm adamant to use these oils instead of getting rid of them since DOS isn't harmful and is only an aesthetic / smell issue.

Well, I know people will frown on this, but over the years I have on a number of occasions soaped with rancid oils. I just hate wasting anything, and I had plenty of lye so I thought why not try it and see what happens? It was only for personal, family use, so no problem, really. What happened was a fast trace and acceleration, so now swirls, but that was it. The resulting soap turned out just fine. It smelled pretty bad still right after I poured it, but as it saponified that smell went away and the FO came out. I kept some of that soap to see what would happen and nothing happened. It is still the same as when I made it, except probably better since it is so old. But it is all smooth, dry, and hard as a rock, with no DOS or any other discoloration. No off smells either. In fact, it all still smells just like the FO I used. Go figure! I don't think true, pure EOs can go rancid, so you probably have some not so pure stuff diluted with a base oil and that is what has gone rancid. So I would take that batch of oil with the rancid EO, add you pumice and make your garage soap. I bet it will be fine. If you want to throw in your rebatched scraps, I think that would be a fun experiment and probably result in a fun, interesting looking soap.

There are methods to clean rancid oils and I’m wondering if you could use one of them to clean the rancid/oxidized EO out of the base oil you mixed for the soap. It might be a fun experiment :)

@DeeAnna describes two methods for cleaning rancid fats on her Soapy Stuff website, here:
Link: https://classicbells.com/soap/rancidity.asp

The information is near the bottom of the page.

Back