Is it OK to sell a soap named as "bastille"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please read Marie Gale's book on proper labeling of soap. The only way you can label your soap "Olive Oil Soap" is if the only ingredient is Olive Oil. So, technically, you cannot name Bastille soap, "Olive Oil Soap".

[just me thinking out loud].... so then if i use this definition of what 'olive oil soap " is defined as then Aleppo Olive Oil soap is labeled wrong since its the oldest "bastile" soap on record just by the sheer fact it contains bay laurel / laurel berry oil in it. the way i see it they labeled according to the "majority amount" and may include the minor amount somewhere in the ingredients/label.

Aleppo soap is classified as a Castile soap as it is a hard soap made from olive oil and lye, from which it is distinguished by the inclusion of laurel oil. [ taken from Wikipedia ]
Aleppo Soap is made with 100% natural olive and laurel oil known for its anti-aging properties. [taken from ancientolivesoap.com]

its a discussion that i have seen on other forums from since i started soaping and goes way back to even before i ever thought about soap. yes something should be labeled properly as to its contents but as you can see if people deem that they can may money [over the centuries] then that is what they are going to do
p.s i love the name "Bastile" / and still am very equally pleased to just say "soap"

Please read Marie Gale's book on proper labeling of soap. The only way you can label your soap "Olive Oil Soap" is if the only ingredient is Olive Oil. So, technically, you cannot name Bastille soap, "Olive Oil Soap".

This is incorrect. You may NAME your soap "olive oil soap" what you can not do is to only include olive oil in the ingredients list.

Think about this - I can name soap flower garden or mountain lake if I like and I guarantee there is no garden or lake in the actual soap. Names or what you call your soap have no bearing on the ingredients list.

[just me thinking out loud]....

Aleppo soap is classified as a Castile soap as it is a hard soap made from olive oil and lye, from which it is distinguished by the inclusion of laurel oil. [ taken from Wikipedia ]
Aleppo Soap is made with 100% natural olive and laurel oil known for its anti-aging properties. [taken from ancientolivesoap.com]

About a year ago I was looking for laurel oil. I found some companies in the near east selling soaps that had specific amounts of laurel oil and classified them in 3 different levels.

Olive oil is a little hazy

This is incorrect. You may NAME your soap "olive oil soap" what you can not do is to only include olive oil in the ingredients list.

Think about this - I can name soap flower garden or mountain lake if I like and I guarantee there is no garden or lake in the actual soap. Names or what you call your soap have no bearing on the ingredients list.

:clap::thumbup: Ingredients: Pure eternal bliss, elf oil, jovial unicorn hoof powder, and essence of mountain lake breeze :p:clap:

Latest posts

Back