Is it me or are there New people...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There definitely are waves of new people. I’d say 5-10 at a time then an adjustment period and 2-4 people stay. Repeat every 2-3 months. I don’t know if there is some sort of correlating factor but it is a trend

Greeting from a newbie but will mostly be checking old posts to answer any of my newbie :confused:questions.
Yes! Do check old posts for information. We love when people search for an answer first. Just don't ask your question in the old thread. Open a new thread with your question and link back to the ancient thread. Or, at the very least, acknowledge that you know it's old. The issue is that the people who made that old post are often no longer here to answer questions. I don't know why that matters so much, since the question still needs an answer, but here it matters.

P.S. I wish there was a rule-of-thumb regarding the age of a post. How old is to old to reply? I need try not to add a question to anything over a year old.

As a "newbie" I'm wondering what qualifies as an odd question... I'm of the mindset that there is never a dumb question, but that's not what you said. I don''t want to be the one asking those odd questions but I also don't want to be tentative about asking either...

As a "newbie" I'm wondering what qualifies as an odd question... I'm of the mindset that there is never a dumb question, but that's not what you said. I don''t want to be the one asking those odd questions but I also don't want to be tentative about asking either...

There is never a dumb question. Ask away! We were all newbies once.

I always notice a huge uptick right before Christmas (ooo I'm going to make gifts in two weeks!) or after one of those startup shows features a soapmaker. (been here longer than what the joined says, had issues with original username LOL). Also happens when the forum gets mentioned in a facebook group. To me the only "dumb" question is the one answered in the pinned posts on the first page...but part of that may be due to people not understand the "pinned post" concept! Odd questions...ask away! I ask those all the time!

If you are responding to artemis, she used the word old (O L D) not odd. On the computer screen, I can see how that might be misread (my eyes are pretty darned old, and I certainly have trouble reading print sometimes!) If you weren't responding to artemis, my apologies.

Yes, I do really dislike it when people bump a really old post. But since that's a result of them searching for an answer, I feel like we can't complain since we encourage people to search for an answer before posting.

I would like to see the banner change as of November 10 or so, "It is too late to make soap for Christmas. Ask us about Melt and Pour soap, lotion, and lip balm instead!"

I thought we were talking about old questions. I don't remember anyone saying anything about asking odd questions?

I'm relatively new to the forum, and mostly search threads for info. I haven't yet tried cp soap, other than to make stain remover.. and liquid soap for washing dishes.. basically, I make cleaning supplies, but love to see the creativity of other diapers, and hope to gain enough confidence to try body care one day!

I'm blind too LOL! I *swear* that said odd........... but even old is ok to see if there's been any updates if the last info is from say 2 years ago! Heck half of us probably play with ideas and never bother to post how it did here, a post might trigger "oh I tried that....yea it did/didn't work". I still stand by my odd statement...go for those! LOL

I'm blind too LOL! I *swear* that said odd........... but even old is ok to see if there's been any updates if the last info is from say 2 years ago! Heck half of us probably play with ideas and never bother to post how it did here, a post might trigger "oh I tried that....yea it did/didn't work". I still stand by my odd statement...go for those! LOL

The original post does say odd.

Ditto what Penelope said^^^. Lin's original post that started this thread says 'odd', although I don't know if she meant to say 'old' instead....

Regarding posting to very old threads, aka 'necroposting'......SMF doesn't have an actual rule against it because it's one of those divided etiquette issues, i.e., although some find it to be irksome, others couldn't care less....... but some do find it to be irksome enough that we felt it needed to be addressed....... which we did so in our 'SMF Culture and Tone' sticky in the Announcements section (scroll down to post #2). After reading it you'll get a better idea whether the sentiments or questions you want to post would be better served by starting a new thread instead of resurrecting a long dead thread. Hope that helps. :)

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back