is it fine to use direct heat for hot process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazerBottle

Reaction score
Many crock pots are aluminum and its easier to use ordinary stainless steel soup pots they are also readily available.

Is an ordinary stainless steel soup pot with gas stove adequate for hot process?

Many crock pots are aluminum
I've personally never seen an aluminum crock pot. As Obsidian said, they are almost always made out of heavy ceramic. Are you sure you are thinking about crock pots and not like an instapot or something?

I also would not use direct heat, especially with a gas stove. If you don't have or don't want to use a regular crock pot, use a double boiler as suggested.

When I HP, I do it in a covered stainless steel soup pot and put it inside my oven to 'cook' at 180 degreesF. I don't have a crockpot, and I don't like fussing with a double boiler when it comes to HP...I find it to be a pain in the you know what. Heating in the oven is much less of a hassle for me.

Like the others, I've never, ever seen an aluminum crock pot. I agree with jcandleattic in that maybe you are confusing crock pots with pressure cookers. Lots of pressure cookers are made of aluminum......although not all of them are. I own two pressure cookers. One is made of stainless steel and the other is made of aluminum. I cook in the stainless one and pressure can in the aluminum one.

IrishLass :)

Or maybe it's like what I use? There's an aluminum base and you can lift off the ceramic pot from it? It's less fiddly than a double boiler.. since I don't own an oven.

Latest posts

Back