Is it a good idea to make CP soap with an active kitten in a small apartment?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dollyk8

Reaction score
Hi All,

I haven’t been to this wonderful forum in a while because of major changes that happened in my life. I have really enjoyed my soap making journey that began in 2015 and really took off in 2018. But now, I am afraid to continue…

I rescued an 8-month old kitten this August (2021). She has been so much fun and helped me during my grieving process after I lost my dad.

Part of me wants to make soap but the cautionary side of me is warming me until some get a bigger place. I almost sold all my supplies but then thought I would seek advice at this forum.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your replies.

Best,
Dollyk8

As long as you have a safe place to keep the lye solution as it cools and to store the fresh molded soap, I don't see a issue with it.

After making your lye, you could set it in the fridge or even in a cabinet until you are ready for it.
The finshed soap can be placed in a cabinet, on a tall shelf or even a closed bedroom.

Making soap isn't toxic or otherwise harmful to a cat. You just need to keep it away from the lye, much like you would keep it away from a pot of boiling water when making spaghetti.

The biggest reason for not having children or animals around when making soap is they can get underfoot and create trip hazards. I have three cats...once they figure out there is no food forthcoming they leave. Sometimes Sophie wants to hang out so I just get out the step ladder and place it where she can watch, but not get in my way.

Edited to add I meant to put this in the “Thread titles and my ver strange mind” thread, sorry about that!

Is it a good idea to make CP soap with an active kitten in a small apartment?

That is a strange ingredient, do you think it will contribute to silkiness in the bar? Or are you just looking for the purrrfect bar of soap?
if you do go with the plan, a small apartment might be ideal to catch the creature.

Last edited:
Kitty Baby adopted my granddaughter & I when we were living in a tiny house just before the pandemic hit. We thought she was a kitten because she is so small and very playful. She remains with me and although we no longer live in that tiny house, I still pay really close attention to soapmaking when she is around, including in small spaces where she cannot be closed into a room by herself. My home is large, but I travel with her & stay in small spaces where I make soap when I can fit it into my travel plans.

Today I made 2 batches of soap in a motel room with Kitty Baby sleeping in her carrier. The motel room is somewhere around 200-300 square feet with a tiny bathroom where I could close her in, but don't. She slept through most of my soapmaking in her carrier on atop the bed, and when she woke up while I was finishing up the second batch, she awoke, came to see what I was doing and went to sit in the window.

If she were a kitten, or a persistent attention seeker, I would close her inside her carrier until I was finished with the soapmaking, but she doesn't give me any reason to worry. Although walking underfoot is more probable in a tiny space than in a larger area and I am cognizant of any spills requiring immediate clean-up (to prevent kitty paw damage.)

So I would suggest getting her a small carrier if your space is really really small & you don't want to close her in a bathroom. The benefit of a soft-sided backpack type carrier like I have is that it doubles as a pet carrier (backpack style) and opens up for extended space via zippers, so it's great for walks, travel, and a safe place to stay when needed. Here's a link if you're wondering what I'm talking about.

I make all my dogs go into another room while I'm soaping, and especially the beagle. Sometimes critters follow their noses & ears more than is healthy for them. Mine seem to associate the scent of warm oils with food and will absolutely get underfoot looking for snacks. I imagine a kitten would be at least as curious as my gray faced doggos, if not more. If I had a kitten I would make like Jackson Galaxy - wear it out with playtime, give it a good meal, then lock it in a safe space with toys, a soft bed, and a clean litter box. With a little luck maybe kitty will sleep right through the soaping.

As long as you have a safe place to keep the lye solution as it cools and to store the fresh molded soap, I don't see a issue with it.

After making your lye, you could set it in the fridge or even in a cabinet until you are ready for it.
The finshed soap can be placed in a cabinet, on a tall shelf or even a closed bedroom.

Making soap isn't toxic or otherwise harmful to a cat. You just need to keep it away from the lye, much like you would keep it away from a pot of boiling water when making spaghetti.
Thank you so much for your reply. I really missed making soap. My kitten is in charge and gets everywhere except in a closed closet. I was afraid that the soap would spoil if I left it on a shelf with door shut tightly. It seems I was wrong. Great idea to lock her up while I make soap and thoroughly clean up the sink afterwards.

I think I will make soap once again! Thanks!!

I like the idea of keeping the soap on a tall shelf and closing the door while it is curing. Thanks!!

The biggest reason for not having children or animals around when making soap is they can get underfoot and create trip hazards. I have three cats...once they figure out there is no food forthcoming they leave. Sometimes Sophie wants to hang out so I just get out the step ladder and place it where she can watch, but not get in my way.

Now, I know why Rosy is everywhere I am! It’s because I keep rewarding her with treats for that behavior:). Great tip. Thank you!

I make all my dogs go into another room while I'm soaping, and especially the beagle. Sometimes critters follow their noses & ears more than is healthy for them. Mine seem to associate the scent of warm oils with food and will absolutely get underfoot looking for snacks. I imagine a kitten would be at least as curious as my gray faced doggos, if not more. If I had a kitten I would make like Jackson Galaxy - wear it out with playtime, give it a good meal, then lock it in a safe space with toys, a soft bed, and a clean litter box. With a little luck maybe kitty will sleep right through the soaping.
Wow! That’s the answer! I need to wear her out, give her the fancy feast and lock the bedroom door after she’s asleep. Thanks!

My sister and I soap together while my kids are at school. When the weather is nice, I put my "shadow" or dog in the yard or in a bedroom when it's raining or cold; in either case, we place our lye solution in the bathroom and always close the door as "double security".

Depends on the cat. My Maine coon had to be part of everything. 1636996273705.png

Great idea! Wear the kitty out, feed her and tuck her in. I haven’t had the time to make soap all year. I get my inspiration from all of you. Thanks!

Back