Is Castile ever not slimy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought bastille is still all vegetable oils. Anyways I am a vegetarian/ mostly vegan. That's the reason I searched for alternatives to the commercial ' body bars'. So if I ever start selling soaps, you wont find lard soaps in the line up.

Bastile is just "mostly olive," with any other oil or combination of oils as the balance. That can be coconut, palm, lard, tallow, or anything else you can think of.

In your case, just stick to vegetable oils and call it "Vegetarian Bastile." 8)

Bastile is just "mostly olive," with any other oil or combination of oils as the balance. That can be coconut, palm, lard, tallow, or anything else you can think of.

In your case, just stick to vegetable oils and call it "Vegetarian Bastile." 8)

done deal morpheus:thumbup:

is it called bastille because its a bastardized castile?
if not, what is the "b" for?

is it called bastille because its a bastardized castile?
if not, what is the "b" for?

Yes, you guessed rightly. The term 'bastile' was first coined by a member of the Dish forum some years ago as a joke of a name to describe a bastardized Castile. The name then took on a life of its own and now it is used everywhere in soapdom. It's not an 'official' name or anything like that, but just a humorous, tongue-in-cheek one.

IrishLass :)

Even with 60% pomace (30% palm, 10% coconut) and after 4 month of cure - is still slimy.

My go-to recipe is actually 70% olive oil (I tend to use Grade A as that's what I can get easily and most cheaply). I dropped in 5% coconut, 5% castor, and 15% soy wax for balance, and it's an amazingly nice bar. I also added sodium lactate at 1 tsp PPO and sugar at 1 tsp PPO for the hardening and lathering.

Sometimes I go with palm instead of soy wax. The bar takes longer to set up, longer to cut, and longer to cure, but it still turns out really nice.

Yes bastille is veggie oil only, but I switched to oo co lard and tallow and castor. Sometimes when I fee adventoures i add avocado and cocoa butter.
Sorry if you understand it differently, maybe cause English is my second language (shame on me):problem:

Wow. So I'm thinking this may be an acquired soap taste to give out. I am curious about the hard water comments. I have been using the water from the fridge filter and never thought to use distilled water. Did anyone use distilled and have the same results? I am really loving the results though except for the slimy stuff. My hands feel so smooth and it is only just a month

For what it's worth, I use distilled water to make all my soaps, but I have hard water in my shower (as well as the rest of my house of course), and my Castile's always turn out to be a bunch of snotty slime producers no matter how young or old. lol It's because of the oleic acid from the olive oil. It produces a very soluble soap that readily melts when it meets up with water.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add a pic of my Castile slime. The soap pictured is 4 years old (still slimy after all these years):

CastileSlime640IMG_3011.JPG

Last edited:
I've gotten that on the rare one month old 70% OO soap as well. You pull the bar out of your hand and slime trails follow it.

I recently made castile with brine water and its just as slimy as regular castile. My 1.5 yr old castile is just as slimy as fresh castile. I've tried it made with milks, excess lye, high SF, low SF, nothing seems to help. I've officially joined the "I hate castile" club.

I do not like castille, slimy son of a gun. Bastille is better though. The best combination of OO Lard and tallow for me:))
I made bastile and as I’m a begginer in soap making I thought it was something wrong with them but reading these posts I realised it is it’s “feature”. I don’t like how slimy it is though. I might join “I hate the Castile and bastile club too.

I might change my mind depending on how moisturising they feel...

I made bastile and as I’m a begginer in soap making I thought it was something wrong with them but reading these posts I realised it is it’s “feature”. I don’t like how slimy it is though. I might join “I hate the Castile and bastile club too.

You’ll never find a soap that is moisturizing. Soap can be formulated to be less cleansing by using lower amounts of cleansing oils like coconut, PKO or Babbasu. If you have sensitive skin you may want to keep those at 10-15%.

I dislike any high oleic soap especially olive oil. I keep my oleic oils at 15-25% at most. I like a better rounded recipe. But my skin doesn’t mind coconut at 20-22%.

I don’t like how slimy it is though. I might join “I hate the Castile and bastile club too.

Search the forum for Zaneys No-slime castile. Most of us find it not slimy when prepared to her method. Also it's very important to keep out of standing water and allow to fully dry between use.

Hope

I've only ever made on batch of castile (do plan to make more tho) and it was not slimey, at least not when washing.
I added an egg yolk and cane syrup to the oil when mixing and have froze milk as liquid, inspired by a thread discussing egg yolk in soap. Not sure which helped the most or it's a combined effort. It doesn't have the best lather but it does make bubbles.
微信截图_20200807130450.png

↑Sorry for the blurriness. I took a video to record how my soap lathers and this is how the castile behaved after 6 months.
If you left it sit when it's wet it will create some sort of slimey film on the surface but as long as you rub with it there's bubble so I'm fine with it.

yes bastille is vegetable oils, I just put my combination of my best soap, I do not like the bastile cause people use a lot of CO in them :)

Latest posts

Back