Is Castile ever not slimy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishgem29

Reaction score
So of corse I couls not wait and had to try my Castile soap after a month. My hands feel nice however I see what people mean about the slimy/ snotty feel. So my question is does it ever go away? Like with 10 months or so of curing, is it less? Not a problem for me however I'm not sure if it's suitable to give as a gift. Also I read somewhere that some have tried adding salt 1tsp or so to the water to idol ever before adding lye to make less slimed. Anyone ever try this? I am too new to want to try adding something to the lye just yet. Thank you.

It does reduce a bit over time, but never really loses all the snot. Which I call "lotion-like" lather, thank you. But yeah, it's snot.

Adding sugar to the recipe (I personally use honey) at 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp PPO can reduce the snotty (lotion-like...) feel a bit.

The only other option is to make a Bastile with 90% OO and 10% CO. Even that tends toward snotty, though not quite so much.

Salt tends to harden a bar faster, but is actually a lather killer (in the amounts we use, 1 tsp PPO, it's not enough to notice). I've never noticed it helps with the snot in the slightest.

I recently made castile with brine water and its just as slimy as regular castile. My 1.5 yr old castile is just as slimy as fresh castile. I've tried it made with milks, excess lye, high SF, low SF, nothing seems to help. I've officially joined the "I hate castile" club.

I'm a member as well! Yuk.

so far i have found that the more olive oil i have in my recipe, the slimier it feels and the longer it takes to rinse the suds off....even when other oils are added. im no pro, and my own soap is the only hand made soap i have ever used.

I just tried my 11 month old castille with comfrey and nettle infused OO and Rosemary EO. It's slippery, but not snotty. Perhaps it's our hard water?

I love the results of using it. It's so gentle and I'm sensitive to coconut oil, but the sliminess gets to me. Fortunately, I have found that I can grate it and dilute it and make it into liquid soap. Only the 100% olive oil soap, the others turn into goopy snot. It makes very nice liquid soap.

If my 4-year old Castile is anything to go by, my answer to your question is no- it is never not slimy.........well, on second thought, let me re-phrase that: The only time it's not slimy is when it's completely dry. lol As soon as water hits it, an astounding snot-fest of colloid develops on the surface that sticks to my hand in such a fashion that when I pull my hand away from the soap, long strings of slimy goo follow along as if it doesn't want my hand to go. lol

That's not to say that I hate my Castiles, though. I find them to be really quite lovely, but only when lathered with a nylon pouf. Without the pouf, the lather is quite pathetic- nothing but slimy yuck. But with the pouf, a miracle occurs- I get a rich, bubbly and creamy lather-fest that can only be described as decadent or luxurious.

IrishLass :)

If my 4-year old Castile is anything to go by, my answer to your question is no- it is never not slimy.........well, on second thought, let me re-phrase that: The only time it's not slimy is when it's completely dry. lol As soon as water hits it, an astounding snot-fest of colloid develops on the surface that sticks to my hand in such a fashion that when I pull my hand away from the soap, long strings of slimy goo follow along as if it doesn't want my hand to go. lol

That's not to say that I hate my Castiles, though. I find them to be really quite lovely, but only when lathered with a nylon pouf. Without the pouf, the lather is quite pathetic- nothing but slimy yuck. But with the pouf, a miracle occurs- I get a rich, bubbly and creamy lather-fest that can only be described as decadent or luxurious.

IrishLass :)

Yes with puff it lathered well but my 6 months old castile it's started to lather well and less slimy.

I just tried my 11 month old castille with comfrey and nettle infused OO and Rosemary EO. It's slippery, but not snotty. Perhaps it's our hard water?

Ah, so maybe that's the reason my castile isn't snotty. I've seen pics of the snot and thought.....really, my soap's not like that at all. So maybe it's my super hard water! Never thought of that.

I, too, am joining the ranks of Castile soap haters! I tried today one that was made on 9 January 2014 and, although it is pretty, white and very hard, there is virtually no lather. You need to rub your hands for quite a while to get anything. Since the soaps are very white, I think that I will grate them and use as confetti in a coloured batter with a high percentage of coconut oil to counteract the lack of lather. I had made a Bastile soap at about the same time and it has great lather so - no more Castile soaps for me!

not snotty slimy but also not 100% OO

my third batch of soap was a CP castile, with 85% OO, CO, Castor and a tiny amount of PKO making up the rest and scented with lavender. had some salt in the lye water, fully dissolved before the addition of lye of course. Used after one month, it was nice and hard, felt luxurious in hand, scant lotion like lather, not snotty at all. I was actually wondering what is this snotty feel in a bar soap until I saw someone actually describe it. not at all like that and also it washes of nicely. And it was superfatted to 5%.

my third batch of soap was a CP castile, with 85% OO, CO, Castor and a tiny amount of PKO making up the rest and scented with lavender. had some salt in the lye water, fully dissolved before the addition of lye of course. Used after one month, it was nice and hard, felt luxurious in hand, scant lotion like lather, not snotty at all. I was actually wondering what is this snotty feel in a bar soap until I saw someone actually describe it. not at all like that and also it washes of nicely. And it was superfatted to 5%.

Aye, but you made a Bastile, not a Castille - Castille is simply 100% OO, no matter what Dr Bonner may tell you. Soaps with a high amount of OO but not 100% are Bastile.

It seems that Bastile is the way forward, for a mostly OO soap that actually performs well!

Aye, but you made a Bastile, not a Castille - Castille is simply 100% OO, no matter what Dr Bonner may tell you. Soaps with a high amount of OO but not 100% are Bastile.

It seems that Bastile is the way forward, for a mostly OO soap that actually performs well!

thank you for correcting me TEG, I did actually want to try a castile but was discouraged by the general feelings about it on the internet just as they r here. But let me ask you this, does the soap behave differently if it is 100% EVOO vs pure OO say from Costco vs pomace? if so, which is better?

I do not like castille, slimy son of a gun. Bastille is better though. The best combination of OO Lard and tallow for me:))

I do not like castille, slimy son of a gun. Bastille is better though. The best combination of OO Lard and tallow for me:))

I thought bastille is still all vegetable oils. Anyways I am a vegetarian/ mostly vegan. That's the reason I searched for alternatives to the commercial ' body bars'. So if I ever start selling soaps, you wont find lard soaps in the line up.

Latest posts

Back