Is anyone else here for personal use products only?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My newborn niece has eczema, what do you recommend?

You might want to do a little more research because babies skin is different to adult skin and the pH of soap does not agree with their skin. Babies should be washed using water or small amounts of baby wash (yes the chemical kind!) Check with the baby’s doctor.

My newborn niece has eczema, what do you recommend?
According to my friend, Nancy the nurse, her mother, a neo-natal nurse in the 1920's ff, said they cleaned newborns with lard! Imagine that. When you think about it, it makes sense. No matter what soap you use, it will be cleansing/drying. I remember using Johnson & Johnson baby oil (mineral oil) on my babies when they were small. Good stuff.

If t'were me, I'd make lard soap, unscented, at 5% superfat. I have no stats to prove this but I believe lard soap is better for our skin over all others. I make 50/50 PKO/lard liquid soap for us and for all our babies... we've had 5 in the past 5 years... 1 great grandbaby, 1 grand niece, 3 grand nephews.

Here is an article which addresses the differences of infants skin and may help to understand why so many people have moved away from using the sames soaps we use as adults:

https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/743532

Notice an infant's skin has not yet developed the acid mantle that adult skin has to help us adjust pH so quickly. For infants, soap with a pH of 7 or lower is recommended. Lye soaps are simply not going to fill that bill. At what age can one graduate to even the mildest of lye soaps? The article does not address that question, but I think it's a reasonable one to ask. The only answer I found when doing a brief search was as they start to approach puberty. Well, I think that's too long for a child to use baby soap, myself, but another source suggested that when you do switch from baby soap to use the mildest soaps you can find.

Ok, so I think I will leave baby soap alone and go to work on my pit paste!! A new adventure!! I want to try to recreate what I've been using for the past year. It's just glycerin, Soda, corn starch (I'll sub arrowroot) and detox essential oils. I've NO idea the proportions!

These are the ingredients. I just love this stuff!!

IMG_3113.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I think I will leave baby soap alone and go to work on my pit paste!! A new adventure!! I want to try to recreate what I've been using for the past year. It's just glycerin, Soda, corn starch (I'll sub arrowroot) and detox essential oils. I've NO idea the proportions!

These are the ingredients. I just love this stuff!!

Just in case you haven't seen it already, you should check out the following thread. It's a wonderful treasure-trove chalk-full of handmade deodorant/pit paste info and recipes and ratios:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60682

For what its worth, from the info in the above thread^^, I learned how to make my own pit paste out of just 2 ingredients: powdered magnesium hydroxide and babassu oil. It's truly amazing stuff!

IrishLass :)

Just in case you haven't seen it already, you should check out the following thread. It's a wonderful treasure-trove chalk-full of handmade deodorant/pit paste info and recipes and ratios:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60682

For what its worth, from the info in the above thread^^, I learned how to make my own pit paste out of just 2 ingredients: powdered magnesium hydroxide and babassu oil. It's truly amazing stuff!

IrishLass :)

Wow! EXTRA thanx, that will be good reading material today! I tried the copycat with equal parts soda and starch as a starting point. Not bad, need to get closer

I started soap making about three years ago. I'd made soap before but couldn't really find a lot of good information. Once I found SMF, my soaping knowledge and skills took off. I make soap predominantly for myself, family, and friends but I'm doing it to, ultimately, start selling. I'm constantly researching techniques and recipes and monitoring my creations. Now that I have a few bars that are over two years old, I'm seeing how well (or not) they age and how they behave and it's making me even more excited.

I also make some creams and lotions but only for myself and my daughter. I've been making those for over 15 years now and love them.

I have to admit I do not consider my self a health nut... I use "shampoo bars" I make that are surfactant based to take good care of my hair. BTW, if you use baking soda to clean your hair you may as well use soap, since ph is very similar between the two. Anyone with long hair that is not getting regular haircuts are risking damage to the point of having to cut their hair.

I have severe eczema and I can definitely say handmade soap versus store bought or m&p make no difference for me. Just the water with washing my hands many times during the day irritate my hands. Fragranced or unfragranced makes no difference. Some oils such as Flaxseed oil, Evening Primrose and probably a few others, do make a difference. I always become fascinated when customers state they are allergic to fragrance. That bring up the question in my mind of which constituent in the fragrance are you allergic to? Fragrances are not just one ingredient.

With having to take care of parents (one right now), I use commercial strength sanitizes, since an infection in my hands would not be good. I do wear gloves that are also made from chemicals....

Latest posts

Back