Is anybody having a hard time finding lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No lard shortage where I live in the southwest, although I'm basing that off of my last trip to the grocery store, which was 5 days ago. They had plenty of lard on the shelves then. I'll take a look when I go again this weekend.

IrishLass :)

My husband works for Walmart and has mentioned they have “rolling shortages” for certain items based on the panic buying and what the warehouses have in stock. I’m sure other grocery stores have similar issues and you just happen to need lard during your area’s slotted shortage.

Walmart is my go to for lard and their price is better than the grocery store.

China has a new swine flu so will probably be culling their herds. That could mean shortages in imported stuff which could lead to shortages of your local supplies.

They had 4-1lb blocks left at my supermarket. I bought all 4.

i also wonder if its because i am in s florida....maybe its because of ethnicities down here? I havent had to buy lard before soap making

Does your Walmart allow you to order online and then pick up in the parking lot? Mine does. There is a fee, but you can find a coupon for first-time users.

You can also try calling local butchers to request ground pork fat. You have to render it yourself, but if cheap is what you want, it is the way to go. They will often give it to you for free if unground, or for less than $1 per pound for ground. Definitely don’t get unground unless you want to rise to a new level of cursing and also have no time for soaping.

Back