is a tutorial available for the calculator?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehair1234

Reaction score
I am very new, and just tried my first CP soap, with horrible results. I had so much fun, but the result crumbled on cutting, beyond belief! I used a recipe called "Beginners Cold Process Soap", but I must have done something wrong. I was going to run the recipe through the calculator, just so I could understand a little more, but I don't even understand the terms there. For example, "amount of liquid in recipe"-is that water, oil, or both added together? "lye concentration"-is that concentration of lye to water, lye to oil, or both? If there is a tutorial somewhere, I would love to read how to use the calculator, but I can't find one. Thanks

I am new also and have not watched this video but this is how I get an over view on many things I don't know about.

There are several and I usually watch a few and look for conflict that I might need to weed though and then use a little common sense.
I am too new to be giving advice but do understand where you are right now. I hope this helps more then hurts.
Cheers.
gww
PS Welcome to the forum.

There are a few different calculators out there, some better than others, and some people find some easier to use than others. Which one are you referring to?
I am referring to the one linked in the tool bar on this forum. I believe it's called soap making friend, or something like that. Maybe there is an easier one to use, but I would still need to u understand which liquids are being referred to such as what's included in "all liquids". Thanks for any suggestions.

I am new also and have not watched this video but this is how I get an over view on many things I don't know about.

There are several and I usually watch a few and look for conflict that I might need to weed though and then use a little common sense.
I am too new to be giving advice but do understand where you are right now. I hope this helps more then hurts.
Cheers.
gww
PS Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. I just watched and realized I was trying to change all kinds of things she said I should leave at the presets. I'm going to try again. Thanks for the encouragement.

The liquid usually refers to the distilled water. It is called "liquid" instead of water because some people replace the water with aloe vera juice, or milk, coffee, etc. (not recommended for a beginner though, since they can complicate the process initially.) I do not think there is a tutorial for it; however, that calculator has its own forum where you can ask questions. I talk a little about the lye concentration in this video. If anything, you will find a link to a blogpost in the description box from that video from modernsoapmaking, that explains it in detail.

Hello & Welcome Bluehair1234 💫🧼.
The soap calc is intimidating at first' but once you watch a few videos above suggested' it will become easy breezy for you.
Happy Soaping 🧼✨

Update: My favorite Soap Calc is SMF Calc above, after trying many.

The liquid usually refers to the distilled water. It is called "liquid" instead of water because some people replace the water with aloe vera juice, or milk, coffee, etc. (not recommended for a beginner though, since they can complicate the process initially.) I do not think there is a tutorial for it; however, that calculator has its own forum where you can ask questions. I talk a little about the lye concentration in this video. If anything, you will find a link to a blogpost in the description box from that video from modernsoapmaking, that explains it in detail.
Fantastic tutorial' 🤗💫

Last edited:
I am very new, and just tried my first CP soap, with horrible results. I had so much fun, but the result crumbled on cutting, beyond belief! I used a recipe called "Beginners Cold Process Soap", but I must have done something wrong. I was going to run the recipe through the calculator, just so I could understand a little more, but I don't even understand the terms there. For example, "amount of liquid in recipe"-is that water, oil, or both added together? "lye concentration"-is that concentration of lye to water, lye to oil, or both? If there is a tutorial somewhere, I would love to read how to use the calculator, but I can't find one. Thanks
When I started, I MUCH PREFERRED Lye Calculator and Fragrance Calculator . I was still getting used to the steps, trace, getting comfortable with lye, etc. I found more complicated calculators like SoapCalc and the one on this forum overwhelming because I was not familiar with terms like lauric and lye concentration and liquid as percent of oils, etc. After I had several batches under my belt and looked at my notes was when I got more curious about the fatty acid profiles of various oils and then I found the more advanced calculators more helpful. But that's just me and my experience. Good luck!

thanks. another source of great videos. I keep learning so much. I'm not ready to write my own recipes but am just trying to get some tried and true existing recipe to work! ...and having fun along the way.

When I started, I MUCH PREFERRED Lye Calculator and Fragrance Calculator . I was still getting used to the steps, trace, getting comfortable with lye, etc. I found more complicated calculators like SoapCalc and the one on this forum overwhelming because I was not familiar with terms like lauric and lye concentration and liquid as percent of oils, etc. After I had several batches under my belt and looked at my notes was when I got more curious about the fatty acid profiles of various oils and then I found the more advanced calculators more helpful. But that's just me and my experience. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the calculator you mentioned. I'll check it out.

Enjoyed that one much better as well. I'v mainly struggled with making sure I enter the right numbers to get just enough of everything mixed together to fill the mold so I don't do a pour and all my good stuff might still be left somewhere.

Enjoyed that one much better as well. I'v mainly struggled with making sure I enter the right numbers to get just enough of everything mixed together to fill the mold so I don't do a pour and all my good stuff might still be left somewhere.
Do you know how to calculate volume of oils required given a certain mold? FYI: in inches, it's length times width times height times 0.4 equals the number of ounces of oils needed. For leftovers, I have several single-cavity molds and yogurt cups on hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back