Is a Loaf Soap Cutter Worth it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where the Rocky Mountain Snow Caps Dance with The
I have been very interested in getting a loaf soap cutter and wondered what experiences people have had with them. Which ones worked the best/worst and so forth. I found a guy on etsy who makes them for $160 and thought I might try him, but it just seems so pricey for a cutter. Worth its weight in gold or not so much? Thanks for the tips!

I've been eyeing those guys for sometime now. Personally, I think it's worth the investment if you have a stable business and large orders where you need to save time and effort as much as you can. If you're just making a couple batches a week, a regular cutter that only allows you to cut off one piece at a time is all you need. There's always room for upgrade, but I feel like such a purchase needs to be justified from the economic point of view.

I just ordered a cutter on Etsy from Bud. IMO saves time & will give you a prettier end product. Well it ever pay for itself, can't say it will, but I sure think anything that makes me enjoy soaping more is priceless! Before buying one on Etsy make sure that the seller has lots of good reviews on cutters.

I don't think it is. With the right miter box and practice you can make nice cuts for next to nothing.

If you are going to invest in a multi cutter buy Bud's. It's a high quality cutter with very good reviews (including mine!).

I am a hobbyist and I love my wire cutter! I got it on etsy from a guy who no longer sells them.

You can also use a wire cheese cutter on Amazon which will cut one slice at a time, but cleanly.

I'm only a hobbiest but I've been thinking about it also. In the long run, due to money, I think I'm just going to get the Soap Making Resources log mold and cutter. It's only $40 for the size I want but comes with the guide as part of the mold and a cutter. Since I only make soap once a month or so, i can handle it. Plus I need a new log mold. My old one is warped.

One thing I really like about my wire cutter is, if I want to cut with my crinkle cutter I can put my loaf on my cutter and bring the wires down just enough to mark the top. Then take the wires back up and use the marks on the top plus the built in slots on the cutter and I get perfect crinkles as well! I have one from Bud also but if you are going to get one I don't suggest mine, which is,Mod 1 Solid Oak & High Density Polyethylene Soap Cutter Cuts 1" Bars. Sorry I don't know how to put a link.
Not sure how to explain this but if you look at the cutter the the sides of the cutter are fixed so you can not adjust your loaf inside the side arms. I know I'm not making much sense. But trust me on this one and spend the extra $20 for the mod 2 with open ends.
I wish I had noticed this before I brought it. I would have gladly spent 20 more dollars. Don't get me wrong I really like my cutter and he does a beautiful job!

I'd LOVE a multi bar wire cutter, no way I could afford that though.
I don't even have real molds yet lol. But what I'm wanting is to get a cheap wire cheese cutter so I can cut perfect bars one at a time. Then maybe someday I could afford the multi wire cutters! I'd also want one open on the sides to not restrict the size of the loaf. http://www.etsy.com/listing/150480091/adjusters-on-each-wire-mod-2-solid-oak?ref=related-1

Here's what I'm eyeing: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prodyne-Butcher-Block-End-Grain-Beechwood-Cheese-Slicer/17027648 but I also want to see if I can find a thrift store one cheaper. You can easily add markings to line up different size bars.

If u want to get a cheese cutter, make sure not to get one with a marble pad, it is slippery..

I could not find one made from wood and ended up with the marble. I gotta hold the soap with a very steady hand otherwise the cut would be crooked

I don't think it's worth it. You can use a knife to cut it for free (assuming you have a knife). I use my Wusthof butcher knife. I bought a $5 crinkle cutter for rustic soaps.

I have Bud's mod 2 and I cannot say enough good things about it. I had a cutting jig that I used and the vast majority of my cuts looked like an epileptic monkey was hacking at them.

My husband makes and sells these molds and cutting mold. We just use a long knife and the cutting mold keeps them even and straight.
I've tried a mitre box, all kinds of knives, and this is the easiest for me.

5soap &cutter2.jpg

finished cut.jpg

Latest posts

Back