Is a Loaf Soap Cutter Worth it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If and when I get good enough at making soap to sell, I want to get one of those wire cutters! My first bars of soap are very interestingly shaped. Cutting straight is not one of my skills.

I love that description, epileptic monkey.

The biggest problem for me with my horrible cuts is I'm a perfectionist and slightly OCD. (my bf keeps teasing me about how all the soap stuff is color coded) So I really can't ignore the bad cuts!

I have Buds new metal cutter. if you drop it off the counter I think it would come out unharmed. Love the cutter already.
I have fibromyalgia & all my other soap cutting had to be done by my husband. Now I can cut my soap on my own! My HP coffee soap cut effortlessly!
0A4AD82B-A818-4051-A241-7F1560387F43_zpswgbxleot.jpg

CoffeeSoap_zpsf3770db2.jpg

I really enjoyed reading this topic and learning how everyone cuts their soap. I laughed at some of the comments. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you because I can't cut straight even when I use a ruler. Sad but true. :( I'd love to have a wire cutter.

Oooh that metal cutter is pretty. I really should let my boyfriend cut my soap but I don't trust him haha. Even with how hard it is on me and what my cuts look like I'm afraid his would be worse. (I can be a control freak) Plus when my cuts suck I can only blame myself, as opposed to blowing up at him if I overreacted and thought he'd "ruined" my soap! Right now I'm still a huge newbie and only ever made 5 batches. 4 of those being small batches and one that would be more full size. My bf and I are going to be making 2 full batches tonight, one each filling up an entire pringles can. 100% OO one substituting pumpkin and the other yogurt for water, and will cure until next christmas. I got the idea here. I really wish there was some way to get a cutter by the time they need to be cut! I even looked at walmart to see if they had the cheese slicers in store and was going to "splurge" the $15 bucks to get it lol. I just hate the idea of giving these soaps away a full year from now and them looking the same as the soaps I just made to give away this year! Even if I had the money in my paypal account to order one online right now I'm sure it wouldn't arrive in time to cut the soap. And I don't want to delay it because I'm at my bfs right now and will be going home in a few days, he lives 90 minutes away and I don't know when the next time I'll be staying with him to make more soap will be. He's the one with all the soap making supplies/equipment, and I'm the one with the oils because I've been making body products with oils for a couple years now.

If I start making soap frequently and get where I can sell it I'll definitely need a multi wire cutter, I think even the cheese cutter wouldn't work because of the repetitive movements cutting soap so often. But I've been totally bitten by the soap bug, and its all his fault LOL. Before I just wanted to make my own soap because I already had the oils and had to buy CP handmade soap for skin conditions, and a bottle of lye was the same cost as the 2 bars of soap I was about to order. I just wanted basic no color no scent soap to use for myself. But he started bugging me about making soap to sell. I wasn't interested, saying how so many people already do it and everything's been done before and it wouldn't be worth it. But he got super excited, and I started watching soaping 101 videos and realizing how the color stuff wasn't as hard as I thought it was... Thats when the plan for christmas soaps came up, and because of the soaping 101 dollar store video my bf took me to the dollar store and asked me to pick out everything that was needed to make soap. So I did, then started getting more and more ideas for cute christmas soap for my friends who are always helping and supporting me.... And joined this forum... And now there's no going back, LOL. I want to try EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
@ freesia - for me, cutting the soap would make my hands hurt, and I would not call my results even "fairly consistent". Heck, I would not call them, "rustic and homemade" looking. I would call them, "Looks like she got liquored up and tried to cut soap with an ax." I could never find these miter boxes some soapers use. My local hardware stores only carry one where the cut doesn't go all the way to the bottom and the sides are very shallow, so you only had a "guide" through about 1/2 of the bar. Have no idea what these things could possible be useful for!

I would like to say that I have never cut soap while intoxicated. :p

Thank you. Just thank you for making me laugh. Very funny and I resemble some of those remarks ;-)

Back