Is 3 oz ppo of FO going too far?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only used aura cacia's essential oils and they are great! I only use peaks, naturesgardencandles, and cierra candles (before they closed :( ) fragrances. So far no problems. Sometimes your scent may disappear after the bar is cured but when you wash it, it may come out in the shower? Could that be a possiblity.

Well I've decided my 1.5 oz ppo orange isn't such a disaster as I thought. The scent is very mild but at least you notice it a bit. :)

Scents

When I first started soaping, I experienced some problems with "vanishing" FOs. The Scent Review Board is a start, but a lot is trial and error. I would never go above 1oz per lb of oils. The likelihood of causing skin irritation is very high, and if 1oz per lb (max) won't do it, then I need to find another FO, cuz they cost too much. It's just not cost effective —as a hobby or business.

I've had people rave over an FO at SRB. and I tried it and it bombed. So much affects how a scent will perform — the oil combo, temps, additives, etc. Best thing to do is buy the smallest bottle available. I don't always take my own advice, but it's still good advice.

Now, I have much more success with FOs. I buy most of mine from Southern Soapers and The Scent Works, with a few from WSP. I've had the most success with Southern Soapers FOs. I'm sure others will have different experiences, based on what and how they soap. Buy from reputable companies, in small amounts and test them.

I am a huge fan of Brambleberry as probably everyone knows.
As well as Flickers Fragrances.

I use WSP not as often as I use to. Tony's have good ones as well.

I use .7 oz per pound for FOs and even less for EOs.. i use WSP, Daystar,Souther Soapers, Natures Garden, Tonys, and a wide variety of others. All superior oils that you do not need much of to scent a soap. The problem with putting too much scent is that some people with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity) will have a reaction to the soap since there is a higher concentration than what is supposed to be there.

BTW I'm not sure that the OP "3 oz ppo" might not be a mistake. That sounds way higher than I've ever tried.

I've been getting by okay on 1 oz ppo these days. Some of the scents aren't very strong but many are fine at that level. I think my initial problems were caused to some degree by using single EOs. I've discovered since then that you should use a blend of 2-3 EOs, you know that high note middle note base note thing.

More recently I've been using FO blends with much better results. My current practice is for a FO I haven't used before I start out at 1 oz ppo. So far I've either disliked the scent and decided to not use that FO again, or the ones that I liked were fine at 1 oz ppo.

Lovehound said:
BTW I'm not sure that the OP "3 oz ppo" might not be a mistake. That sounds way higher than I've ever tried.

I've been getting by okay on 1 oz ppo these days. Some of the scents aren't very strong but many are fine at that level. I think my initial problems were caused to some degree by using single EOs. I've discovered since then that you should use a blend of 2-3 EOs, you know that high note middle note base note thing.

More recently I've been using FO blends with much better results. My current practice is for a FO I haven't used before I start out at 1 oz ppo. So far I've either disliked the scent and decided to not use that FO again, or the ones that I liked were fine at 1 oz ppo.

Greg ~

Where are you learning how to do the EO blending? I'd like to try, but I don't have a clue where to begin, or what goes with what.... I've seen lots of sites, that recommend, "this goes well with this & that..." , etc, but I really need a "recipe" to go by....

....maybe after I do it by recipes for a while, I might have confidence to blend my own...but I'm not comfy doing it that way yet.

Soapy there was a post right here at SMF about blending EOs. Look for Cathy's site, except I can't remember Cathy's member name. She's got a really good site, very helpful information compiled by her. Good enough that I'd rather send people to her site than have my own.

I'm sure a better answer will come along soon. Cathy?

Latest posts

Back