Is 2 weeks too soon?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian0523

Reaction score
I can't stand it any more - my first batch of soap is only 2 weeks old, and I'm drying to give it a go!

I don't have PH paper, and cant find any locally, so there's no way of testing the buggers. I won't dare try the tongue test.

Ugh!

I was afraid of the "taste test" but really, it's not that bad! Unless you get zapped, but I've never had that happen before...

I'm pretty sure you can use your soap as soon as a week after you make it, it just won't be as hard and the lather may not be that great.... Essentially, I believe the cure is mainly to get all that extra water out, and give the oils more time to "set".

Zap

Yeah...don't "lick" the soap, like a lollipop. Just touch the surface with the tip of your tongue. It's a real quck thing.

I had my RTCP zap me for about Day 1-3. By Day 4 it was fine. It's not that bad.

brian0523 said:
I can't stand it any more - my first batch of soap is only 2 weeks old, and I'm drying to give it a go!

I don't have PH paper, and cant find any locally, so there's no way of testing the buggers. I won't dare try the tongue test.

Ugh!

I tongue test the day after they're made. I've never been burned/zapped. I've even tested end pieces the day after they're made. Never a problem here.

If your soap has no zap, it should be good to go. However, I personally would not sell it until it has had at least a month to cure. But for myself, I've used a soap a week after I made it. I just won't sell it that soon.

Now with castille soaps, I let them cure for a few months before I will sell and give them a longer cure than my other soaps before even I will personally use them.

I also test my soaps for zap the next day and have never felt it.

Well - I tried the soap this weekend, and it's really very nice. It's been just a bit over 2 weeks, so I guess it's still soft, because we went through almost the entire bar in just 4 showers!!!

I guess a longer cure will improve on this? Or maybe I need a recipe with a higher hardness number?

brian0523 said:
I guess a longer cure will improve on this? Or maybe I need a recipe with a higher hardness number?
Could be both... what was your recipe?

Back