Iron Oxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrishaglerr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have my own soap company that does pretty well, and we are starting to shift out target audience into the hunting world (as I’m an avid hunter).

I wanted to create a “Hunters Soap” that would mask the scent of Hunters while out in the woods. I contacted a company who makes a Hunters soap already (as a “curious customer”) and they stated:

“Thank you for reaching out! Our hunting soap is actually completely unscented. It has iron oxides in the soap to mask your human scent to the animals, but there is no detectable scent in the soap.”

After doing some googling, I found that Iron Oxides are actually just used for colorants? How is it possible that they use it to mask scent? Very curious if anyone can help me out here.

Thanks!

Iron oxide is basically rust. I think rust has a little bit of a smell to it, so I could see it having a small effect on a person's scent. I don't know if the animals would mistake it for a natural scent though...

Sorry I couldn't be more help, just thought I'd offer what I had.

Iron oxide is basically rust. I think rust has a little bit of a smell to it, so I could see it having a small effect on a person's scent. I don't know if the animals would mistake it for a natural scent though...

Sorry I couldn't be more help, just thought I'd offer what I had.

Hmm I can see that possibly working. Maybe I’ll stick to black iron oxide and no scent and give that a shot.
Thanks.

Do you make MP soaps? I have not tried oxides in MP, and thought I'd look up how to mix it for use in MP. I found this from Soap Queen on how to dilute oxide powders for use in MP:

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...ips-tricks-for-using-oxide-colorants-in-mp-2/

Next time I do a MP, I will give that a try, as I had never thought to use oxides in MP before your post.

As for them actually masking a person's body odor via a wash-off product, I just don't believe it, but it would be an interesting experiment. Let us know your results.

Back