Irish Lass Rebatching Method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been off the forum for several months to take care of my mom who was sick, She is doing better now. By the way I would like to thank the admins as I have recieved e-mails checking on me and asking me if I needed help with my password in case I lost it. It felt very good, thank you guys for your kindness.

I am back to making soap, this time I made our favorite recipe ( a big batch of 7 pounds for the first time) I need to rebatch it using IrishLass method in rebatching , I have a question regarding the amount of oil used for rebatching. I don't have the link but I remember reading it, IrsihLass had an african soap that was harsh for her skin, so she grated it and re- melted it in the oven using the oil of a bastil or a castil batch then she added the lye of the new batch to the oils after they melted then stick blended them. How do I determin the amount of oils for my 7 pounds batch of soap? it's easier for me to determine with small batches.

Also, for soapmakers who are used to making big batches of soap, what advice you have for me to succeed in making big batches ?

Thank you.

Why do you want to rebatch? Is your soap lye heavy? My suggestions would be different, depending on your reason for rebatch.

As for suggestions for making big batches - what's going wrong?
In my experience, making a big batch of soap isn't different than making a small batch, unlike some recipes where doubling the recipe isn't a good as a single recipe.
- Make sure your containers are big enough to hold the soap
- Make sure you can fairly easily maneuver the weight of your full soap pot. Remember it will be hot and full of a caustic liquid
- Prepare. Don't forget your mise en place, as Chef Ann bellows at America's Worst Cooks. Make a list of what you will need - EVERY SINGLE THING - and put it out in a logical order. For example, make sure you have your fragrance oil and your measuring device together. In my case, I mix up my colors in their Dixie cups with glycerin, and place a silicone spoon and bowl beside each cup.
-Large batches often move faster than small batches.
- A second pair of hands is invaluable.

Welcome back, Madison. :)

I think you might have gotten me confused with fellow member "pure&simple". I think the confusion arises from the fact that I happened to be a part of the same discussion (thread) where she talked about how she rebatches her black African soap. Anyway, her rebatching method is the very same method as you described in your post. And here is the thread where she spells it out (I found it using Google): How Do I Rebatch Black African Soap

IrishLass :)

DB3E5672-5CFF-455B-BC1E-4B47ED1101AE.jpeg
Depending on what went wrong with your soap confettiing it is far easier. Grate it up and use it 1:1 with a new batch of soap. Just stir it in and pour the mix into the mold. No heating required.

It can also look much nicer than HP soap.

Last edited:
Why do you want to rebatch? Is your soap lye heavy? My suggestions would be different, depending on your reason for rebatch.

As for suggestions for making big batches - what's going wrong?
In my experience, making a big batch of soap isn't different than making a small batch, unlike some recipes where doubling the recipe isn't a good as a single recipe.
- Make sure your containers are big enough to hold the soap
- Make sure you can fairly easily maneuver the weight of your full soap pot. Remember it will be hot and full of a caustic liquid
- Prepare. Don't forget your mise en place, as Chef Ann bellows at America's Worst Cooks. Make a list of what you will need - EVERY SINGLE THING - and put it out in a logical order. For example, make sure you have your fragrance oil and your measuring device together. In my case, I mix up my colors in their Dixie cups with glycerin, and place a silicone spoon and bowl beside each cup.
-Large batches often move faster than small batches.
- A second pair of hands is invaluable.

Thank you for your reply and for the tips, my batches are no more than 4 pounds usually. For this recipe I can't remember, I did the calculations some times ago, I don't double my measurement normally, I may have tried to double this recipe , it was my first 7 pounds batch, but why it's not a good idea to do so?

Everything was going well until I made this big mistake that I added all my thick lye at once, I know I was supposed to add it little by little and stir, it turned immediately into lumps, I used the whisk some, did some bursts with my sb it was somehow mixed but not to my satisfaction. I expected to have oil floating on the top but it was only very little amount. I grated them but I really hate rebatching, this why I wanted to use this method.

Welcome back, Madison. :)

I think you might have gotten me confused with fellow member "pure&simple". I think the confusion arises from the fact that I happened to be a part of the same discussion (thread) where she talked about how she rebatches her black African soap. Anyway, her rebatching method is the very same method as you described in your post. And here is the thread where she spells it out (I found it using Google): How Do I Rebatch Black African Soap

Thank you, that was the post. I did confuse you with "pure&simple", I am sorry about that. I wonder if you have had time or opportunity to try the method?

View attachment 28802
Depending on what went wrong with your soap confideting it is far easier. Grate it up and use it 1:1 with a new batch of soap. Just stir it in and pour the mix into the mold. No heating required.

It can also look much nicer than HP soap.

Thank you penelopejane, do you mean that I have to make another 7 pound batch? I believe this way will give me a nicer looking soap as well. I tried to re-batch using the regular way several years back, when I started making soap, I never liked it, and it never looked good to me.

Thank you, that was the post. I did confuse you with "pure&simple", I am sorry about that. I wonder if you have had time or opportunity to try the method?

No apology needed. :) No, I haven't ever actually given the method it a try (haven't had the need to, so far........ thankfully). lol

Thank you penelopejane, do you mean that I have to make another 7 pound batch? I believe this way will give me a nicer looking soap as well. I tried to re-batch using the regular way several years back, when I started making soap, I never liked it, and it never looked good to me.

Yes you will eventually make another 7lb batch to use up the confetti but the confetti will last at least a year in a sealed container so there is no rush.

You can think up lots of design possibilities to make it look good.

I did it once to save a batch but now it’s a family favourite so I have to make a blue batch just to confetti it to add it to batter at the bottom half of a soap swirled a bit with plain batter on top.

It’s a really good idea to have a soap diary so you can write down everything you did to make a batch. Use an excel spreadsheet or just a folder or a book. Write down the date, the mix, all additives and the method and anything that went wrong or right. Then if you chance upon the perfect bar you can repeat it exactly.

Yes you will eventually make another 7lb batch to use up the confetti but the confetti will last at least a year in a sealed container so there is no rush.

You can think up lots of design possibilities to make it look good.

I did it once to save a batch but now it’s a family favourite so I have to make a blue batch just to confetti it to add it to batter at the bottom half of a soap swirled a bit with plain batter on top.

It’s a really good idea to have a soap diary so you can write down everything you did to make a batch. Use an excel spreadsheet or just a folder or a book. Write down the date, the mix, all additives and the method and anything that went wrong or right. Then if you chance upon the perfect bar you can repeat it exactly.

As for 14 pounds of soap, that will be a new adventure for me that needs a very good preparation. I am thinking of using one of my all vegetable recipe to mix it with this batch that is high in animal fat, I am sure I will get a new results from mixing all different oils together. As for the dairy, I do have one, I write down all details, it has helped me to perfect my batches and to learn from my mistakes, but mine is still the old fashion.lol
By the way, do you have a photo for your family favorite soap that you don't mind to share?
Thank you.

As for 14 pounds of soap, that will be a new adventure for me that needs a very good preparation. I am thinking of using one of my all vegetable recipe to mix it with this batch that is high in animal fat, I am sure I will get a new results from mixing all different oils together. As for the dairy, I do have one, I write down all details, it has helped me to perfect my batches and to learn from my mistakes, but mine is still the old fashion.lol
By the way, do you have a photo for your family favorite soap that you don't mind to share?
Thank you.

No you don't make 14 lb of soap in one go.

For instance:
If you have a 2 lb mold make a mix of 1lb of batter and stir in 1 lb of confetti. Pour it into your mold and cut as usual. Do that until you have used up your 7lb of confetti over the next year.

You said in post 5 that you didn't remember the calculations for your 7lb soap. If you had a soap diary you could check them.
This is one I've made but there are lots of creative confetti soaps on the internet. Google confetti soap.
94 Confetti.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply and for the tips, my batches are no more than 4 pounds usually. For this recipe I can't remember, I did the calculations some times ago, I don't double my measurement normally, I may have tried to double this recipe , it was my first 7 pounds batch, but why it's not a good idea to do so?

What I meant was, in my experience, you CAN double soap, unlike some food recipes. For example, when we make chicken and dumplings, you can't just double the dumplings and cook them in a bigger pot. You need 2 pots (or maybe one very broad pot) so the dumplings have enough surface area.

I keep my scraps and shreds in my empty lard buckets. What is fun about confetti soap is that you can try different scent combinations as well as color with your shreds.

Also, if the soap is still pretty new and wet, you don't have to shred it all - cut some into largish chunks. Those are visually very interesting. Make sure it gels, which will melt the old soap a bit and help it bond with the new soap.

I'm just curious about your 7 pounds of soap. In reading your description of what went wrong, I may have misunderstood, so correct me if I did. I read it to mean that the batter may not have been as well mixed as it should? Did it turn out as safely zap-free? Were all the bars after you cut them of a uniform hardness when you grated them?

I ask because, if they zapped before grating them, I'd be worried about using only a portion at a time for rebatching. I wouldn't want to zap test 7 pounds of grated soap, either. But if it was zap free before you grated it, my question is moot.

No you don't make 14 lb of soap in one go.

For instance:
If you have a 2 lb mold make a mix of 1lb of batter and stir in 1 lb of confetti. Pour it into your mold and cut as usual. Do that until you have used up your 7lb of confetti over the next year.

You said in post 5 that you didn't remember the calculations for your 7lb soap. If you had a soap diary you could check them.
This is one I've made but there are lots of creative confetti soaps on the internet. Google confetti soap.
View attachment 28807

That will make it much easier to work with, thank you.
I do know the calculations, but I don't remember if I have just doubled the numbers as I did the calculations way earlier before making the batch.
Thank you for the photo it's gorgeous.
I just realized that you have posted such a wonderful photo in post 4, I didn't pay attention since I have too much ads. showing when I use the forum. May I ask about the red you have used, it's very beautiful.

I keep my scraps and shreds in my empty lard buckets. What is fun about confetti soap is that you can try different scent combinations as well as color with your shreds.

Also, if the soap is still pretty new and wet, you don't have to shred it all - cut some into largish chunks. Those are visually very interesting. Make sure it gels, which will melt the old soap a bit and help it bond with the new soap.

I like it, thank you. It's time to learn these techniques.

I'm just curious about your 7 pounds of soap. In reading your description of what went wrong, I may have misunderstood, so correct me if I did. I read it to mean that the batter may not have been as well mixed as it should? Did it turn out as safely zap-free? Were all the bars after you cut them of a uniform hardness when you grated them?

I ask because, if they zapped before grating them, I'd be worried about using only a portion at a time for rebatching. I wouldn't want to zap test 7 pounds of grated soap, either. But if it was zap free before you grated it, my question is moot.

Yes, all the bars were of a uniform hardness after I cut them. I didn't zap test. Is your concern about the lye being distributed well all over the batch? Does this mean that I may need to re-batch all the 7 pounds at one time? I think your worries are right, since I had some oil on the top of the batter after 28 hours, that means the lye was not very well mixed with the oils. Does this matter if the amount of oil was very little on the surface? I used 1% sf, 31 % lye concentration and 2% citric acid which means extra sf.

I just realized that you have posted such a wonderful photo in post 4, I didn't pay attention since I have too much ads. showing when I use the forum. May I ask about the red you have used, it's very beautiful.

I am so sorry the photo in post 4 isn't one of mine! I got it from the internet. It is a beautiful colour - probably mica.

One of my early batches of soap was a peppermint/rosemary soap recipe I found online, and followed religiously. It was horrible. There was way too much peppermint oil in it and the mint leaves called for in the recipe ended up turning black and looked like I'd found the gathering place for a den of mice. Truly ugly.

I rebatched part of the batch and turned some into confetti soap. The rebatch ended up in the garbage. The confetti soap turned out really well. I still have one bar and I'm actually quite proud of it. If at all possible, I'd recommend you try the confetti soap route.

Back