IPM and preservative question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
If Isopropyl Myristate is used in an anhydrous formulation such as body butter or a balm, do we need to add a preservative? I couldn't find the answer everywhere I've searched so far so thanks in advance if anyone answers. :bunny:

Well you have to consider where your product will be used. What is it going to come into contact with? How likely is it to pick up water from the environment? Wet hands?

A lot of times I see people adding preservatives to things as a failsafe just in case these products somehow get wet, and therefore become capable of supporting microbial/fungal life.

Thanks yall. I intend to use it in anhydrous body butter, dry oil spray, and my herbal balm due to it being a penetrant so hopefully it'll help with my aches. I use emu oil in my balm because it's supposed to be a more penetrating oil so hopefully the IPM will help also. The only anhydrous products I use preservatives in are sugar scrubs and the eyeshadow and other mineral makeup I'm making. I still provide a little scoop with everything though so hopefully people will keep their fingers out of the products along with telling them if they want to take anything into the tub or near water, to put a bit in a dish and take that dish into the tub to keep water out of their product. I'd prefer to just use a preservative in everything to be on the safe side but not everyone wants it in their products so if it's anhydrous, I'll forego the preservative if they wish. I do have a disclaimer though and insurance to protect myself from people that don't listen or read instructions.

Thanks yall. I intend to use it in anhydrous body butter, dry oil spray, and my herbal balm due to it being a penetrant so hopefully it'll help with my aches. I use emu oil in my balm because it's supposed to be a more penetrating oil so hopefully the IPM will help also. The only anhydrous products I use preservatives in are sugar scrubs and the eyeshadow and other mineral makeup I'm making. I still provide a little scoop with everything though so hopefully people will keep their fingers out of the products along with telling them if they want to take anything into the tub or near water, to put a bit in a dish and take that dish into the tub to keep water out of their product. I'd prefer to just use a preservative in everything to be on the safe side but not everyone wants it in their products so if it's anhydrous, I'll forego the preservative if they wish. I do have a disclaimer though and insurance to protect myself from people that don't listen or read instructions.
I do the same as you. If someone wants a preservative product they have a choice of a couple balms which are anhydrous.

Latest posts

Back