Iowan here!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
Hello from the midwest! My name's Jill and I'm currently using soap as a new hobby to distract me from my actual job. I've done quite a bit of lurking here and spent more hours than I'd like to admit googling and pinteresting soap :)

I made my first batch soap a few weeks ago (CP coconut milk) and I'm waiting for it to cure. Can't wait to give it a try and in the meantime having a great time reading about everyone else's successes and failures. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the welcome, guys! @not_ally it went as well as a first batch could, I think! No lye accidents, no volcanoes, and everything went as planned. The soap is pretty yellow (lots of olive oil) and I don't have a fancy mold or anything yet, so she ain't pretty! But I figure I'll work on the looks later, ha!

It's been three weeks and everything seems to be on the up and up. I did a "zap test" and didn't get a zap, but I'm going to let it harden a while longer. No DOS as of yet, which is what I'm mostly worried about. I'm basically hoping to just get a recipe that makes my hideous dragon skin a little less dry, especially in these long winters.

@DeeAnna me too! Well, mostly east. Only slightly north :smile:

Forum newb Tapatalk question: I can't seem to find how to reply from my phone (Android) Any ideas?

not_ally, no particular reason! I read that they can turn up well after the soap is made, and the pessimist in me says that even though nothing bad has happened yet, something is bound to go wrong.

All things being equal - ie; you don't use oils w/short shelf lives - you shouldn't worry too much about DOS. Ie; you can do some things to avoid it, and sometimes it strikes regardless, but not often enough to make it a worth-while worry factor unless you are actually experiencing it a lot.

Thanks, that is comforting to hear from someone who knows what they are doing!

I don't know about that! But I have not experienced much DOSing w/my oil mixes (mostly lard, some OO/CO/Castor). There are so many other things to worry about! Sometimes you do things perfectly and the soap gremlins come visit ...

I think DOS is a "when" not an "if" for almost all soapers, because it has so many triggers. Some are obvious and some are not. Just do your best and don't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back