Inventory and batch tracking software

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill B Blasius

Reaction score
Since my limited membership doesn't yet allow me to post to the business forum and I can't afford a copy of Soapmaker 3... I thought I'd post this here.

I was wondering if anyone seen or used "Soapinventory.com" for their inventory and batch tracking? It's a free, web-based version of what I *think* Soapmaker 3 does.

I was thinking of selling soap in the future and after reading many blogs on the subject of start ups, it was suggested that starting your inventory/batch tracking was something you should do before starting a business, even as a casual soap maker.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input!

I registered too just to be able to see it.
Nothing back yet but he is not in the USA so maybe it is a time thing. Plus not sure how often he looks?

I was thinking of selling soap in the future and after reading many blogs on the subject of start ups, it was suggested that starting your inventory/batch tracking was something you should do before starting a business, even as a casual soap maker.
If you're just starting out this looks like a good way to go however what if Dean decided to pull the plug one day? That would be my greatest fear - everything would be gone....

I registered too just to be able to see it.
Nothing back yet but he is not in the USA so maybe it is a time thing. Plus not sure how often he looks?
I registered over a month and a half ago, and still nothing back, so I've given up. I too just wanted to see it, as I do have my own spreadsheets and SM3

I do not track anything other than lotions which do get a batch number. I do keep all my printouts so if there is a problem I will know which batch it is. Every batch of soap has a printout with date. When I retired, I retired......

I registered over a month and a half ago, and still nothing back, so I've given up. I too just wanted to see it, as I do have my own spreadsheets and SM3

I didn't hear back either, (figured it went to spam) but I tried to sign in after a few days and it worked.

I had already put everything in a spread sheet too. I was going to create my own DB and just thought if somebody already did all the work already... I may as well use their's.

I am also kinda leary of its existance/future. Reading his "donation" page (and being a former IT person) he says it costs $400 for a server, yadda, yadda. I know all that to be untrue - he should go to GoDaddy and spend $90 a year for his webspace.

I signed up twice and never heard back. In replying, the question was asked if I was using it for personal or for business. I said both and thought maybe that was the reason I did not get a reply as he only intended it for personal use. Thought it a bit rude to not even respond to either attempt, dropped him off my YouTube after the brush off. Kinda agree with SoapForLife too, he could pull the plug after you have used it. If anyone is aware of another similar software without the expense of SM3, would be interested.

I have sm3, but honestly find it so time consuming! I like being able to see little details though.. maybe I should be more patient- and I definitely wish I had it when I first started out!

I have sm3, but honestly find it so time consuming! I like being able to see little details though.. maybe I should be more patient- and I definitely wish I had it when I first started out!

I bought sm3 the other day and am trying to get my head round it still but gradually getting used to it theres some great videos on youtube with some really helpful tips on them. I set up myself a little office in my living room so i can have a break i have to admit i love playing round with stuff like that. Id definatly say keep at it iv already found it very useful and iv only just got half way through my inventory of oils ect

@Jill B Blasius iv found some great videos about sm3 on youtube if i can find the links again ill post them on here so you can see and maybe try and compare this software you are looking aat maybe using. It made me decide to buy sm3 i know its not exactly cheap but its a great piece of software and for what it does its actually a pretty good price.

Last edited:
I applied again and Still nothing back. Just wanted to let you know.
Maybe someone that Does have it can email him to let him know that others have been trying to set up an account ??

I applied and received account setup about2 days later - it went into my junk folder but I got it. It’s seems pretty simple to use and I think I’ll like it once I really dig in and start using it - right. Is just playing.

I can whole heartedly recommend SM3. I bought it about two years ago but didn't really do anything with it. Then, last year I got back into it, joined the FB group, and have been using it almost daily since then. It's definitely worth the price. I've purchased other, more expensive programs that haven't been worth the cost. This one is.

It takes a bit of playing with it to really get into it but once you learn the program, it's very useful. The FB group has been very helpful and even Crawford Woodman (the program's author) regularly chimes in. As well, there are regular updates.

Honestly, I wouldn't even want to try to set up a program like this. I've played with Excel a lot in the past and I can't even imagine setting up something this complex.

I probably won't use it, but I wanted to see it.
After 3 times, and Yes I check EVERYTHING that goes in the spam folder, and nothing.
I know it is free, but..........

SM3 from all that I am reading is lacking a few things that I wanted but can't remember what right now. There is no way to 'Try' it out to see if it is what I would want or not. A trial for a weekend would be nice. I have watched some of the Videos but they are useless unless you have seen the program.
I just can't justify paying $100 on something that I might not use. Trust me, I have wasted too much on things that I thought for sure I would use only to not use them.

I had already put everything in a spread sheet too. I was going to create my own DB and just thought if somebody already did all the work already... I may as well use their's.

I am also kinda leary of its existance/future. Reading his "donation" page (and being a former IT person) he says it costs $400 for a server, yadda, yadda. I know all that to be untrue - he should go to GoDaddy and spend $90 a year for his webspace.
Last year I was working on a soap DB for our hobby business. I had other priorities this year, and I did not finish the admin functions. But it is generally functional. If you have hosting with PHP and MySQL, you can run it yourself.

If there is interest, I could set up a demo on my hosting.

The main components are Batch, Report, Inventory, and Admin.

Batch gives you a form with all your ingredients, costs, and amount on hand. Fill in the batch number, name, # bars, and comment, then the amount of each ingredient. Click "Review my choices" and if everything looks good, "Submit my batch".

Reports lets you see your inventory by batch name, ingredient(s), or location. "What do I have with lemongrass oil?" "What is on shelf 4 or drawer 23?" "Do we have any more Cinnamon Goatmeal?" I found it very helpful to print a report on paper, then use a higlighter to pick soap bars to make variety packs.

Inventory lets you add bars to inventory and sell bars from inventory. There is an unfinished option to move bars around in inventory.

Admin lets you (when complete) manage soap names, ingredients, locations, and users. Right now, only users works. I update ingredients, names, and locations directly with MySQL.

I plan to release this as open source when it's complete and looks nicer. Note that the user interface is "functional", not pretty. I write good code, not fancy HTML. And no Javascript. This is my only PHP project, and it is obvious what code is earlier and which is later...

Back