Introduction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope I'm not breaking any rules here by not choosing an avatar. I'm Ken and I'm new to soap making. I've been experimenting and have made a couple ( I think) successful batches of soap, but I am wondering is it possible to reduce my water amount and use witch hazel in its place? Not adding the lye to it but adding to the oils. Like how I just jump right in both feet?

Great to find this, as I was looking for info on slowing down trace.

welcome9.gif Ken

Hello everyone, hope I'm not breaking any rules here by not choosing an avatar. I'm Ken and I'm new to soap making. I've been experimenting and have made a couple ( I think) successful batches of soap, but I am wondering is it possible to reduce my water amount and use witch hazel in its place? Not adding the lye to it but adding to the oils. Like how I just jump right in both feet?

Hi Kenneth :) Witch Hazel contains alcohol and that's a no-no except for making transparent soap. I've heard rumors that there is an alcohol free version but I know nothing about it.

Greetings and welcome to the addiction. :) You can indeed use less water by adjusting your water:lye ratio in your soap calculator. Just be aware that doing so will make you lye water that much more potent and more dangerous should you spill it on yourself. It will also speed trace.

Welcome.gif
Ken & DebP!

Great to find this, as I was looking for info on slowing down trace.
Howdy from Colorado, USA. Please take a moment to post your own Intro thread. It's helpful to SMF members if you tell us where you are (for recommending suppliers, etc.), your level of experience, and anything else of interest that you care to share. :)

I am from minnesota and I am pretty new at this, I've figured out the basics and have made several batches but now I would like to get more....................involved I guess is what I'm thinking

Back