Introduction + First Recipe Question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widdershins

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I just thought I'd swing by and introduce myself as well as double-check with some more experienced users about a recipe I'd like to try.

My name is Sonya and I'm 22 years old. Currently I am away from college, trying to get back in after some mental health struggles. I don't know exactly what sparked my sudden interest in soapmaking, but I'm so excited to start. I just have to wait for my molds and get the appropriate gear to work with lye and I'll be on my way!

While I'm waiting, though, I thought since I found this forum I could pitch a recipe to you all just to make sure it won't be a complete failure!

The recipe I'd like to try:

37.5% OO
25% CO
18.75% AVO
12.5% grapeseed oil
6.25% sesame seed oil

Also, when using olive oil, is there a specific kind I should use? Pure, virgin, extra virgin, light, etc?

Thank you all in advance for your help, and I hope to stick around for a while.

Last edited:
Welcome.

For me, that recipe is too much "show". Doesn't mean it doesn't have substance, but a good soap can be made with fewer ingredients.

Lard/Palm/tallow 50%
Olive oil (pomace is fine) 30%
Coconut 15%
Castor oil 5%

This will make a great soap as a basis to tweak and play with, such as adding in some butters and so on to see what, if anything, they bring.

Your recipe has too much Coconut Oil (CO) for most people, I would not use more than 15%.

The recipe Craig provided is an excellent starter recipe. It will be well behaved and give you an excellent soap. Then you can start tweaking it as you like.

I use the cheap yellow olive oil from Sam's or Walmart. It is a good consistent product, unlike any of the "virgin" oils.

I agree with the good Gent and Susie that the recipe needs some tweaking (the linoleic acid content is much too high, which would make the soap DOS-prone), but I disagree that 25% coconut oil is too high......at least for me anyway. ;) I much prefer at least 28%, but that's just me (when asking for opinions on recipes, always keep in mind that you will get lots of differing opinions because we all have our personal likes/dislikes when it comes to soap, based on our own skin-types/water quality).

For what it's worth, here is how I would tweak it (using the same oils that you mentioned):

Olive oil 50%
Coconut oil 25%
Avocado Oil 15%
Grapeseed oil 5%
Sesame Oil 5%

In regards to olive oil- I use Costco's Kirkland brand Pure Olive Oil (not the virgin kind).

Edited To Add: Welcome to the forum :wave:

IrishLass :)

Welcome widdershins! Are you adverse to using animal fats?

Your recipe isn't terrible or anything, but with that large amount of olive oil and that small amount of solid oil, it is going to take a while to trace and it will stay soft for longer.

I use lots of OO in my soaps and love it. At 50% it doesn't affect trace and the soap isn't soft. I use EVOO as it's the same price at other OO here in Oz. I personally would not use Pomace on my skin as it is extracted using chemicals.
I only use CO to 10% max as I find it dries my skin.
I have heard that grape seed oil is prone to DOS.

Back