Intro

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFuller

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Ann. I've been very interested in soap making for years. Recently, I have finally taken the step to learn more about it, thanks to YouTube, but I still have a ways to go, before I feel comfortable enough to attempt to make my first batch of soap. I have decided that hot process may be more than I should start with, and I'm still trying to decide if I want to play with melt and pour or just jump into cold process. I'm hear to continue to learn and grow, before I attempt my first batch.

I look forward to getting to know the members, and learning from their posts.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you've been reading a lot and have the basic information then I highly suggest you just jump right in with a basic recipe and no color or scents for starters.

I think I read for 3-6 months before getting the guts to try my first batch. After that I wondered why I waited so long. I actually learned a lot about the process by doing it.

You could start with something simple like 50% Olive Oil, 25% Palm Oil and 20% Coconut Oil or even 80% Olive Oil and 20% Coconut. Just to get a feel for it. However the more olive you use the longer you may need to cure your soap as it makes for softer bar until cured.

There is a lot of information on this forum, you can find answers to almost any question you may have. If you can't find it then don't hesitate to ask.
Whenever you are ready good luck to you! Be prepared to become an addict like many of us here.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I think the Lye is what is holding me back. I've been reading up and watching videos on safely working with the Lye. I did order my scale and stick mixer, and have picked up the rest of my equipment...I hope to have my nerve up by the time my scale and mixer get here :)

Haha. Addiction. Oh no! My husband and daughter already deal with my horse addiction. Lol. The upside, making soap is a creative process, and they're very creative. Maybe they'll join me with the soap making...the designing part, anyway.

Welcome Ann! :wave:

Ditto everything Shunt said. Don't let the fear of working with lye scare you off. I let it scare me off for about a year before I finally bit the bullet, and then I ceremoniously kicked myself for being such a scaredy-cat and waiting so long! lol Just read up on all the safety precautions, take them to heart, and then go for it! To me, working with lye is no more scary than using bleach to clean my bathroom or an oven cleaner to clean my oven.

IrishLass :)

Hi Ann,

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Since shunt2011 and Irishlass have already given good advice, I'll just say...do both! You can do MP while the CP is curing. :thumbup:

Back